skeeter pee kombucha experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justineaton

Reaction score
I recently brewed a small batch experiment that turned out great and I thought I would share. I made a batch of skeeter pee a couple weekend ago and had a little to much for my carboy so in a gallon jar like I use for kombucha I mixed 2 parts skeeter pee must with one part kombucha. I didn't add any other yeast to it besides what the kombucha has in it and I topped it with a coffee filter to open air ferment but keep bugs out. It did not grow a scoby but it did have a nice thick Krausen and developed a decent yeast cake, not the brown stringy yeast like kombucha usually has but a cake on the bottom. When the fermentation had slowed to a crawl (a few weeks) I poured it off the test cake into a clean jar, added priming sugar and an air tight cap. It carbed up perfectly with a Nice cream mouthfeel. Flavor wise it didn't taste like skeeter pee or kombucha, I really don't know how to describe it other than original and unique, but it reminded me a lot of a sour beer. Abv wasn't quite as high as skeeter pee (10%) but it was close. I'm planning a larger batch of this to bottle soon.

I just brewed up a five gallon batch of a bells two hearted ale clone and kept about a third of a gallon of wort out to give room in my five gallon carboy. I decided to mix the extra with an equal part kombucha same as I did with the skeeter pee. I'm hoping for the best.

Back