Sizing a plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got into home brewing and have found that working for an industrial supplier has been very good for getting equipment cheaper. I was looking into getting a brazed plate heat exchanger, but I didn't know what size to get. I know the units are not very large, but is there length/width with a certain number of plates that is generally accepted? I'm currently only working on 5 gallon batches. Thanks in advance.

The more length= way more chilling power. The more plates= slightly more chilling power.

More plates is for higher flow rates, but at fluid speeds we're talking about it doesn't matter. You'd be better off with a 20 plate chiller that is 12 inches long than a 40 plate chiller that's 8 inches.

I have the same 30 plate small that keg cowboy sells (dudadiesel). I do a recirculating plate chill. If you are going to do a gravity fed chill whereby you want to have pitchable wort coming out the other end of the chiller, then there are simply formulas that they (duda) can help you with. There are some calculators and whatnot on the dudadiesel site too.

Thanks. I can size these things if I knew all my flows. I guess I should get out to my backyard and measure my water temperature from the hose and estimate a GPM by filling up a bucket, but that sizing chart will be a good start. Thanks again.

Hi guys.
Im wondering about the size of plate chiller to cool down 250L of wort. Any help on this? I know that heat exchange area does really matter, not only the number of plates. Thanks in advance.

Back