Size for Brew Haus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoots

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My efforts to get a pool are failing, but I may now have a better option.

I may have the chance (thanks SWMBO) to build a brew haus on what used to be the dog kennel. I would need to pour a little more cement, but what I am wondering is if 10 x 10 is too small. The best I think I can do is 15 x 10 so I am not working with a ton of room. I am relatively small now (only 5 gallons) but who knows in the future.

So I ask the experts here what you would think about this space. Sorry no pictures.

Thanks,
Scott

My 10 x 10 shed filled up fast I cannot even walk into it. If you could get by with 10x15 or even squeeze a 12x15 you would be much happier.

Careful of your zoning laws. Structures over a certain size with a permanent foundation need permits.

I am aware of zoning laws. Currently I have a few options, but I really need an idea of what would be too small. I would hate to build something and have to turn it into a shed for storage.

Mine is 10x24. I plan on having a cold room and small bar/sampling area. This would reduce my actual brewing space to 10x12/14, depending on how greedy i get with the bar space. I will have plenty enough room for kegs, a sink, a large table, and whatever else I need. A brew rig takes up an astounding 12-18 sq ft of space, not a whole lot.

10x 15 would be more than adequate with careful planning. As it is now I brew(and have all my equipment) in one tiny corner of my garage, which is far smaller than your proposed shed. DO IT!

Lumber comes in 2' increments. So, unless you have other limitations, 10x16 will only cost slightly more than 10x15.

Would you like to brew inside, or just have a place to keep your stuff. If you brew inside and have guests, space will go quickly.

My experience is, imagine how big you could ever need/want, then double it. You will never say, "Wow this is way more space than I could possibly use". I know there are budget/space/SWMBO constraints, but build it as big as you can.

If you're going to spend the money and time to build something, build it as large as you can because it's doubtful you will spend the $$ later to build an addition to it.
10x15 should be good, room enough for some fridges/freezers, brew rig, wash up area and storage. Most home brewers don't move past the 10g mark so consider that as a size to plan towards, unless you have aspirations of expanding, in which case, your building will become small very quickly. Consider your future power needs, a sub panel with 220v service will be very handy if you are thinking of going electric, as it's much much cheaper than bbq propane tanks and more "inside" friendly.

I think it comes down to what you plan on doing in there and how you plan on expanding your brewing system in the future. What setup do you use now? Any plans to go bigger or change things from gas to electric or vice versa? Ever desire to build a walk-in cold room, or even a big cooler cabinet?

I am currently all electric brewing in the basement in a corner. Electrical panael is a must. I could see myself at 10 gal, but if I ever went bigger it would have to be somewhere else. I really do not know many people who brew, so guests are not too big of a problem.

Seems like the size may be ok. I think I will check it all out in the basement to see what I am up against. Maybe a search on 10 gal electric brew rigs to see if that is possible as well. There is no way I would use propane. Never have, never will in my world.

The space for a 10 gallon batch is basically the same as a 5 gallon batch. I agree with the other posts, build as large as you can. I have taken over 1/2 of my 2 car garage and I still want more room.

Latest posts

Back