Siphoning with CO2 to Keg - What about to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
So I'm testing this today. Just using a racking cane with a tiny bit of CO2 pressure to move water out of a secondary, up, and into my sink. I plan to use this method to transfer an Amber Ale over to a keg later today.

Can I use this same method (but with a racking cane in each carboy) to move from a primary or secondary? Or does the introduction of CO2 at that point in fermentation not a good thing?

6649-photo-3.jpg

CO2 is a good thing - oxygen at this stage is bad. Here's what I came up with to transfer either from one carboy to a secondary carboy or from a carboy to a keg to maintain a CO2 blanket over both primary and secondary/keg. I designed this to transfer either by pressure or by siphoning. The advantage of the siphoning method is that it uses less CO2. To transfer under pressure, you have to purge the secondary or keg, then fill the primary carboy with more CO2 during the transfer, but using the siphon, you purge the secondary, then that same CO2 goes into the primary headspace as the beer fills the secondary or keg.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/co2-valve-gizmo-carboy-carboy-keg-transfer-301647/

Probably because of cost of buying the co2 setup. If you keg and use carboys the gear is already there.

Be safe - use very little pressure to push the beer. Barely open the regulator.

Probably because of cost of buying the co2 setup. If you keg and use carboys the gear is already there.

Be safe - use very little pressure to push the beer. Barely open the regulator.

Makes sense.

I am putting so little pressure it doesn't even register on the regulator. Just enough to get the liquid flowing.

In stead of pushing the beer up hill put the full carboy on the counter and push to the lower one.
I do it this way and once the transfer starts I can pop the QC on the CO2 line off and it will rack just like I have used an auto siphon. I use way less co2.

you can do this with a bucket as well. Just put an extra hold and grommet in the lid. Plug the 2nd hole during fermentation. (plastic peg...w/e you can sanitize and jam in there...or use a second airlock....)

you can do this with a bucket as well. Just put an extra hold and grommet in the lid. Plug the 2nd hole during fermentation. (plastic peg...w/e you can sanitize and jam in there...or use a second airlock....)

As long as the lid seals enough. With a carboy and cap I use a band clamp on the cap to make sure it seals.

Back