Siphoning on bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyWaters

Reaction score
I read the FAQ on siphoning and it sounds like it is going to make transfering much easier. I have a follow up question though. On bottling day, after I have racked from the carboy to the bucket, what is the best method to get the siphon started to bottles. I have an auto syphon, but it allows air bubbles no matter what I do to it. On my last batch I filled the siphoning tube with water and quickly dropped one end in the bucket. It worked GREAT with no air bubbles and a really quiet transfer. But dipping my part of my hand in the beer makes me nervous. Curious if anyone has any tips for siphoning from bucket to bottle without putting my hands in the beer.

normally, a "bottling" bucket has a spigot attached to it at the bottom.
1620.jpg

You just put a hose on the tap and (optionally, but strongly reccomended) a bottling wand. That's a hard plastic tip with a spring loaded valve... much less mess.
1823.jpg

You can buy the spigots separately and drill a hole in your plain bucket to attach it.

-walker

Gracias. Don't have one of those "bottling" buckets, but it looks like a worthwhile investment to save worry. Thanks for the response. Your illustrations are helpful too for us new guys.

Back