Single Tier Brew Stands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffyBros

@DuffyBeers
Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase a single tier stand. I've found many of the companies or people on here are out of business (brewsteel.com abetterbrewstand.com and brewtree.com) all gone. Most of the remaining companies are super expensive (MoreBeer, synergy, and AIH, Ruby Street) does anyone know of another manufacture?

I really like the automation of the MoreBeer system, and I am looking to move up to a 1BBL system. So far Alpha Ruby Street is in the lead for me.. Anyone know if the kettles are good quality? There's hardly any info on the bayou classic ones it comes with.

Thanks in advance!
Duff-

I've been looking to purchase a single tier stand. I've found many of the companies or people on here are out of business (brewsteel.com abetterbrewstand.com and brewtree.com) all gone. Most of the remaining companies are super expensive (MoreBeer, synergy, and AIH, Ruby Street) does anyone know of another manufacture?

I really like the automation of the MoreBeer system, and I am looking to move up to a 1BBL system. So far Alpha Ruby Street is in the lead for me.. Anyone know if the kettles are good quality? There's hardly any info on the bayou classic ones it comes with.

Thanks in advance!
Duff-

Thanks in advance!
Duff-

Thanks in advance!
Duff-

I drew up what I wanted with room to upsize a ton, took the drawing with measurements to a local welder, and had the stand done and ready for pickup within one week. Find a good welder, design it to do all the things you never thing you'll need, and you'll have it fast and probably save a lot of money over buying one and getting it shipped. Professional welding services are not as expensive as I imagined they would be. Just make sure you get it done right (for the future) the first time (plan to double your batch size, get burners under every section, mounts for two pumps (even if you batch sparge) and a wort chiller (even if you use immersion currently). Get casters so they can drill the feet for them, plan for plumbing mounts and go large with the steel so you can drill and mount things to it easily. Modifications are surprisingly expensive.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to DIY this time. I'm recovering from a pretty bad neck injury. Might need surgery, which is why I want to change to a single tier. I'm currently using a 2 tier (2) 10gal. coolers. Which isn't a bad setup. I've never brewed with pumps. I just need to adjust to be able to continue my passion for brewing. I figured I might as well upgrade my batch size anyways. I have a 7 tap coffin keezer build that only has 2 beers on tap. So far it's the alpha ruby street system but I hate the weldless kettles it comes with. Sigh. I wish this brewsteel website would work so I could see what he has to offer. Thanks for the advice!

Okay, but I wasn't suggesting DIY apart from draw it yourself. This is mine that I had built for me after I sold my 3-tier. Obviously, I had to source the various components separately (I had most of them already).

IMAG0367_BURST002_1_1.jpg

As for Brew Steel, have you tried messaging the owner, Onehoppyguy, on HBT?

Yes I did message him. No response. Your system looks sweet. If I didn't have a 5 lb lifting restriction I would def. try to fabricate something up. I am jealous. I really like that control panel!

Great job. Was it a hard learning curve when u started using pumps to brew?

I disagree and it's a quick way to get a working stand. I don't have the ability to diy bc I'm recovering from a nasty neck injury. Which is why I'm switching to single tier to begin with. No more coolers for me :( Ruby Streets customer service is awesome too.. just sayin'

One of the most common manufacturers employed on this site is yer mitts.

$4500 is really expensive (for me anyway). You can weld/have welded a steel stand and paint it red for easily under $1000, probably more like $500. Two pumps and gas lines/manifold adds another $400-500 at most. Adding automation with pilots and PIDs and valves is another $500 or so.

I can see the appeal of just buying one, but you have to pay for someone's time to build it, and it takes a while. It would be half the price to build it yourself. Although time, resources, and know-how comes into play.

Everyone in my local club runs DIY single tier and two tier stands. I saw a Ruby stand at my LHBS, but never in action.

Yes I did message him. No response. Your system looks sweet. If I didn't have a 5 lb lifting restriction I would def. try to fabricate something up. I am jealous. I really like that control panel!

Great job. Was it a hard learning curve when u started using pumps to brew?

Nothing to it. I had a pump on my 3 tier system to whirlpool. On the single tier, you just have to let the mash rest for about 10 minutes before running the pump.

The control boxes are prefabbed from Blichmann (the mount is a CRT TV wall mount). Like I said, apart from attaching a few things, I left fabrication to the professionals. No heavy lifting apart from getting the stand out of the truck, which was a bear. My motto in designing it was go big or go home. It feels like it weighs a couple of hundred pounds without all the hardware.

Threads like these make me wonder if I should start building brewstands. I can weld, have access to several steel suppliers, have access to a shop and know a guy with a waterjet that can cut any logo you want.

Hmmmmm. . . . .

I have a single tier synergy stand with two burns, and stout tanks. I love my set up. Would not have gone any other way.

I was thiiiiiis close to buying a Top Tier when I realized something: since I was planning on using it as a flat system anyway, then it would be more economical for me to simply buy three Blichmann burners with the leg extensions. I saved $500 and bought a load of other equipment.

I love that I can move things around easily, I don't have to pull out the full system every time I brew, and it's just as functional as a brewstand. I don't have plans for automation but this might be a limiting factor for some people.

One of the most common manufacturers employed on this site is yer mitts.

$4500 is really expensive (for me anyway). You can weld/have welded a steel stand and paint it red for easily under $1000, probably more like $500. Two pumps and gas lines/manifold adds another $400-500 at most. Adding automation with pilots and PIDs and valves is another $500 or so.

I can see the appeal of just buying one, but you have to pay for someone's time to build it, and it takes a while. It would be half the price to build it yourself. Although time, resources, and know-how comes into play.

Everyone in my local club runs DIY single tier and two tier stands. I saw a Ruby stand at my LHBS, but never in action.

A lot of people have really good luck with that bolt together heavy duty steel from HD/Lowes too, the name escapes me maybe someone here can throw the name out there...that stuff you can do with just a good socket wrench and a metal cutting blade.....

A lot of people have really good luck with that bolt together heavy duty steel from HD/Lowes too, the name escapes me maybe someone here can throw the name out there...that stuff you can do with just a good socket wrench and a metal cutting blade.....

I believe your are thinking of uni-strut...Zymurgy ran an article a couple issues back on how to build a two tier from it. Also there are a couple of threads on various builds folks have made.
I know the strut is galvanized which will give off toxic(?) fumes when burned..but after the zinc burns off you should be good to go.
I'm planning on building one once my credit card bill is under control, I figure 200 for the strut, another 100 for the nuts and bolts..maybe less not sure..I have one banjo burner, so I'd add a second, already have a counterflow chiller, and a pump, just put camlocks on everything as a birthday present to myself...so I figure it should run about 450-500 for everything....hopefully less.

I believe your are thinking of uni-strut...Zymurgy ran an article a couple issues back on how to build a two tier from it. Also there are a couple of threads on various builds folks have made.
I know the strut is galvanized which will give off toxic(?) fumes when burned..but after the zinc burns off you should be good to go.
I'm planning on building one once my credit card bill is under control, I figure 200 for the strut, another 100 for the nuts and bolts..maybe less not sure..I have one banjo burner, so I'd add a second, already have a counterflow chiller, and a pump, just put camlocks on everything as a birthday present to myself...so I figure it should run about 450-500 for everything....hopefully less.

It's UNI-STRUT I built my single tier with it. I live on the coast and it has sat outside in the salt air for 5+ years. Fires up everytime works great. My SRUT pieces came from a city dump so I got out cheap. My only advice is to elevate your sparge water keggle so you can gravity feed.

It's UNI-STRUT I built my single tier with it. I live on the coast and it has sat outside in the salt air for 5+ years. Fires up everytime works great. My SRUT pieces came from a city dump so I got out cheap. My only advice is to elevate your sparge water keggle so you can gravity feed.

Yeah, the plan is to build a two tier, rather than add a second pump right away, eventually I want to add a RIMS tube, so sooner or later pump 2 will be purchased.
I'm relieved to hear that your stand has withstood the elements, I'm in coastal Florida one of my big worries is the stand rusting...
do you happen to have your plans online? or pics of your stand?

There is a guy that builds quality brew stands in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Not too far from you. He charges $300 for a single tier stand.

There is a guy that builds quality brew stands in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Not too far from you. He charges $300 for a single tier stand.

Any chance you could get me his contact info.. ? Would greatly appreciate it. I am familiar with Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Both were super expensive. I'm not trying to cheap out, but I need to at least feel I'm getting a good band for my buck. Thanks for the suggestion tho. I'm still searching :) I will find one! And when I do I'll share who hooked it up..

DuffyBros said:
Any chance you could get me his contact info.. ? Would greatly appreciate it. I am familiar with Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I second this, I live in kalamazoo and would be interested in what his product looks like!

I went the opposite way. I got a shelving unit organizer from Costco, 2'x4', that came with some heavy duty plywood shelves. The shelves are rated at 200 lb per. Wrapped the plywood in black marine vinyl from the fabric store and it does the job pretty well. I just mounted my pumps to a piece of scrap plywood and they sit on the lower shelf. But, this setup only works for electric, as the wood and fire combo might be an issue :)

stand.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

I've attached images of his stands for those interested. For $300, the stands do no include casters or burners. They come as pictures in the first picture without the keggles. Just a nicely welded, cleaned up 2" steel brew stand.

Hey guys. Saw this post and thought i would share my dad and i's version of the top tier. Everything here was made from scratch except the center mast and the actual burner. I purchased a bayou burner and built everthing else. Still have 1 more burner to build.

ForumRunner_20131229_064534.jpg

My deepest condolences on the loss of your son. As a father of 3, I can't even imagine what your going through.

I'm a currently Tig welding a stainless brutus 10 for a hbt member for $425. Cost includes cutting all of the metal. But, my prices are way low so expect to pay around $700 for the welding. That's just a guess. I figure two full days of work to cut, fab and weld at $35-$40 per hour.

All of the stainless will be cut to size by the website I'm ordering it from actually. So I just need it welded. Thanks for the kind words. I'm also a father of 3..

Been trying to purchase an affordable brutus stand for either 26 or 30 gallon kettles. As we all know they don't exist. So I'm going to attempt a DIY.. I would rather do this in steps to do it right the first time but unfortunately cost is an issue (my youngest son passed away last year) and the hospital bills are well... Insane. So, this is my distraction, my passion and anyone willing to give advice and help me.. it is so much appreciated words can't express it.

Here's what I've planned so far: (parts list)

Stainless Steel from http://midwestmetalwarehouse.com Cost: $359 shipped
Stainless Steel Type 304 (.065 thick) dimensions in pic below (W76"xH28"xD21")
Welded by Eds Welding Chicago Ridge (getting estimates) ?
3 Banjo BG14 Cast Iron Burners $39.99/each + shipping (so far) ?
Duda Diesel 40 plate chiller DudaDiesel.com $100
3- 12" Heat Shield and Burner Mount from BrewersHardware.com $26/each
4 Heavy Duty Casters ?
3- 26 Heavy Duty Kettles from MoreBeer.com $299/each
2- False Bottoms MT and BK $109/each
3- Stainless Steel Maximizer - Long 7 inch MoreBeer.com 14.95/each
Kettle Diverter for Boil Kettle MoreBeer.com $15.99
or..
3- 30 gallon MegaPot 1.2 Kettles from NorthernBrewer.com $399/each
2- False Bottoms MT and BK $119/each
Ultimate Sparge Arm from MoreBeer.com $149
Heat Exchanger - Convoluted Copper from MoreBeer.com $189
2- March Pumps High Flow w SS ball valves MoreBeer.com $199/each
Weldless Stainless Steel Whirlpool Arm MoreBeer.com $37.95
Regulator - Adjustable Pressure MoreBeer.com $26.95
3- 8" Heat-Shielded 1/2" MNPT Stainless Steel Thermowell (MT, HLT, BK) BrewersHardware.com $27.95/each
2- Electronic Float Switch (MT & HLT) MoreBeer.com $159/each
2 or 3 Wired Ranco Digital Temperature Controllers HomeBrewing.org $79/each (HLT,MT maybe Boil Kettle?)
3- 4E770 - 24v 190K BTU Gas Valve - $185/each Grainger ?
3- 2E166 - Thermocouple 18" - $13/ each Grainger ?
3- 1D287 - Pilot tipk, 8-L, P-F - $52/each Grainger ?
3?- 5AU59 - Pilot Tubing 60" - $22.46/each Grainger ?
3- 6WU91 - 24v Transformer - $22.29/each Grainger ?

If anyone has suggestions. Especially on the automated gas burners and control panels please let me know. I'm no expert, if there is a "?" Next to something it means I'm not 100% sure yet. This build is going to be epic. I need a project to take my mind off things. If anyone knows of suppliers where I can get any of these products cheaper please comment. I would like to automate all 3 burners. But I'm not stuck on it.

This build is for you Jax.. RIP (4/20)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389009539.467277.jpg

First and foremost I am truly sorry for your loss.

As far as the valves and gas parts (i.e. thermocouple, pilot, tubing, etc.) you may want to check out Pex Supply. Here is an example of the valves I am running on my stand for propane (they include an easily replacable part for natural gas conversion) and they are far cheaper than Grainger. They were really good to deal with in my exp. as well. If I can help in any way shoot me a PM.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2124-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11585000-p

Duffy,
I am truly sorry for your loss! Brewing beer will help ease your mind. I just completed a Brutus build for 25 gallon system. I have specs, pictures, and wiring hints. I built almost everything.. My email is [email protected] get in contact with me, maybe I can't get you going.. Cheers PJ

image.jpg

Back