Single Tier 3 pump system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grundysidemount

Reaction score
So this is my current brew system. I am currently doing 3 - 5 gallon exract batches at the same time. Which is really nice.
I am ready to go to All Grain. I want to know what parts, modifications, type of pumps (I think I need 2) and other things I will need to make this so.
After parts are added, I do not want to lose the ability to run the 3 kettles separately, as I am currently.
I have 2 10 gal kettles and 1 8 gal kettle.
Would love to see pictures of your single tier 3 kettle systems.

If I am understanding this correctly .....
HLT just needs 1 valve, that runs into the pump, then output to the top of the MT. The MT needs one hose out the bottom that runs to the 2nd pump, the output that runs to the top of the BK. Then 1 hose out the bottom of the boil kettle to a 3rd pump, the output goes to the plate chiller, then output to the Fermentor.
Do I have this right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-233358_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-233358_Facebook.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 69
If you're thinking about building a HERMs system - using the HLT to heat up a heat exchanger through which the mash wort is recirculated to maintain mash temperature and enable step mashing) you'll need a heat exchanger coil ("HEX") in the HLT, and that HEX needs In and Out ports through the HLT wall, so typically a pair of ball valves right there. And if you want to recirculate the HLT bath to keep the HEX heated evenly, you'll need a second pump and another HLT valve for the return.

On the MLT side, if you're going to recirculate the mash, you need a port mounted high up on the side wall for the return.
Finally, on the BK, if you want to recirculate (for whirlpooling hops and chilling with an immersion chiller) you'll want a second valved port mounted low on the sidewall (typically same height or a little higher up as the drain valve).

This is the best head-on shot of my 3v2p single tier in action a few years ago before I got my dedicated brew space. Left to right: BK, MLT, HLT. There's a 50' 1/2" HEX inside the HLT and it's plumbed through the two valves just left of the sight glass. The HLT recirculation return is to the far right edge; note there's a valve above that but it's a CIP port, not used during brewing.

The MLT has the return near the top, and it's connected to the HEX here. The MLT drain valve is connected to the mash pump, and in this shot I'm recirculating the wort through the MLT and HEX, while the HLT pump is recirculating the HLT water bath.

Finally, the BK has a drain valve and a return for recirculation (I use the wort pump for that after the sparge is all done). The high mounted valve is another CIP port.

brew_rigs_02.jpg

So that's pretty much a maxed out 3v2p single tier configuration. Note you can subset this: if you don't need BK recirculation you can save a ported valve; if you aren't going to recirculate the mash you can save a HEX and its two HLT valves; if you aren't going to recirculate the HLT (which sans HEX would make sense) that's another valve; and with all that if you're not going to fly sparge you can skip the second pump...

Cheers!

Thank you so much for that Info.

I have seen little things about herm system, but thought they were electric brew set ups. I will do more research on it.

Set up looks awesome. As I start customizing my kettles I may hound you with questions. I apologize in advance. Hahaha

This picture was taken when I first got this system a year ago. It is a HERM's as @day_trippr described. All electric with 15 gallon kettles. There are heating elements in only two of the vessels... HLT and BK and with the particular controller I opted for I can only use one of them at a time. But for the way I use it that is not a problem. I cannot tell you how glad I am to get away from propane!
IMG_2807.JPG

Latest posts

Back