Single IPA hop you can't live without

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we may get some duplicates here haha. Maybe add an "and why"

Magnum. Terrific, super clean bittering hop and I actually do like it as an aroma hop as well. Very subtle earthiness that I dig in some IPA's

I think we may get some duplicates here haha. Maybe add an "and why"

Magnum. Terrific, super clean bittering hop and I actually do like it as an aroma hop as well. Very subtle earthiness that I dig in some IPA's

Magnum?! didn't expect that. so, if you had to choose one hop you couldn't live without for IPA, you'd choose Magnum?!

Tough call between simcoe and centennial for me. Both are life.

Simcoe is an interesting one. I used to love it so much. Now that we have all of these super strong hop varieties, Simcoe seems kind of mild to me. I used to get a lot more resinous and tangerine, and now I don't get as much of that. Maybe it depends on the crop you get.

Magnum?! didn't expect that. so, if you had to choose one hop you couldn't live without for IPA, you'd choose Magnum?!

Well... It depends on the wording of your title. Is this the one IPA hop (in addition to various others) or a single hopped IPA?

Because if its the first option then yes... Magnum. I use it in every IPA I make with other hops for aroma/flavor.

If its a single hop IPA then I choose Columbus

Well... It depends on the wording of your title. Is this the one IPA hop (in addition to various others) or a single hopped IPA?

Because if its the first option then yes... Magnum. I use it in every IPA I make with other hops for aroma/flavor.

If its a single hop IPA then I choose Columbus

Yes, I intended to ask what is the single hop variety that you would never want to be without for IPA recipes (not what is hop you would choose for a single-hop IPA.)

I mean...how is Magnum really that critical? Couldn' you use apollo, warrior, CTZ for bittering?

interesting. maybe i'll try some magnum for comparison in my bittering. i used to use magnum and horizon a lot and then just sort of use whatever is high alpha now.

whoa! interesting. i've been worried to use the pound in my freezer. people say it lends a weird green pepper flavor.

I personally use it late in the boil, it has so many pleasant tropical aromas that I'd hate to ruin. I gratuitously add it to the WP and/or dry hop for sure.

I did a single hop rye IPA with equinox and its one of the best IPAs I've done. I'll post the recipe here once I get home to my recipe tab.

But to answer question I'd have with citra. Can't make Zombie Dust without it.

a hop that is in a lot of my ipa's, Denali
I like how it brings everything together and is used in many of my ipa's. (not my favorite hop).

but for an IPA with only a Single hop IPA, Galaxy would be my favorite.

a hop that is in a lot of my ipa's, Denali
I like how it brings everything together and is used in many of my ipa's. (not my favorite hop).

but for an IPA with only a Single hop IPA, Galaxy would be my favorite.

to me, Denali is a super pineapple bomb and must be used very sparingly

i feel for you. ha ha. just kidding

Dude, you have *NO* idea. I live literally a stone's throw from Tree House, well the original before expansion. And I joined in the lines and the whole thing and tried it and went, eh. Different. Interesting. Not my thing.

And all my friends moved away from me on the Group W bench...

Darn you are making this tough...got to toss coin between:

Galaxy
Amarillo
Nelson Sauvin
Citra
Mosaic

Ok...I cant pick just one

I've only been brewing for 9months and I've spent most of that time experimenting with different hops. So far, the one that's really stood out for me is Eldorado, but not to the point where I can't live without it. I put it into a single hopped PA that was tasty, and it shined through the last NEIPA I did and, IMO, made it the best I've brewed.

My IPAs are still evolving, but I'm zeroing in on a process that yields the flavor/aroma/bitter profile I'm looking for. In the process, I've used all the usual suspects: Citra, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Mosaic, Amarillo, Eldorado, CTZ, Azacca, etc.

I can't give you one I couldn't live without. I can tell you I don't want to be tied to just one.

Back