Single Hop Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working on a Porter recipe that I am looking to brew this weekend. I have my malt/grain bill figured out. As you can see below that the recipe calls for 3 different varieties of hops. The total of which comes to 1oz. So in saving money I would like to buy 1oz of hops of a single variety. Any suggestions on which variety would be best suited to this recipe and why?

7lbs Light LME
12.8 oz: chocolate wheat malt
8.0 oz: 80° L crystal malt
5.0 oz: dextrin malt
0.5 oz: Galena pellet hops, 13% a.a. (90 min)
0.25 oz: Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% a.a. (15 min)
0.25 oz: Hallertauer pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (5 min)
English Ale Yeast

I would probably go with Galena, just to make sure you hit your IBUs.. never used it in any of my beers, but according to Hopunion, it works well in Porters.

May I respectfully suggest you re-think the premise of the question:
So in saving money I would like to buy 1oz of hops of a single variety.
and instead just try to make the best porter you can?
What I would do is buy 3 oz of fuggles, and use 2 oz for bittering, and the other oz for flavor and aroma?
If you're stuck on 1 oz, buy something with high enough AA% to get your bitterness right...

I would used the Galena and dial back the amount of the second and third addition. That would be the best way to keep it at 1 oz. or less. The downside is that you are going to miss out on the aroma that you would have gotten from the other two types of hops.

Of course I want to make a good porter. However, I am on a tight budge and do not like to be wasteful. I am not sure when I will get the opportunity to brew again, let alone use those varieties of hops. I appreciate the suggestions, and doing more research on hops to see what is going to be the best fit.

That seems an unusual hop schedule anyway for a porter. Unless you're specifically making a big hoppy American porter the hops don't need to be complicated and should take a back seat IMO. For most of my porters I just use a single hop with a 60 min bittering addition then 0.5-1 oz around 5 minutes. Willamette and EKG are probably my most common - mainly because I tend to buy them in bulk at harvest season and then use them as dual purpose in most of my porters, stouts, browns, and other English styles. If you're trying to keep it to a single oz Northern brewer or Perle should be a little higher AA and also would be good choices. All of those I consider pretty good dual purpose hops and are more toward the earthy/spicy side which I think goes well in those styles.

Well buying one hop verity will help save money... About .65 oz of Galena for 60 min will give you the same IBU's as those you have and the additions listed . Galena can have a harsh lingering back end if over done. ( which this would not be) I went 40 IBU's Galena in one Porter and it was way too much.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Go for something tasty, dual purpose and cheap that you like. I'd sub all those for a single hop of Cluster, Northdown, Perle, Northern Brewer, Challenger or something similar. Maybe cheap Target if I was feeling mischievous. Cascade is good but you might want to up the bittering. Some late hop bite is good, but it will more than anything 'freshen' your porter rather than make it that hoppy. All those dark malts are going to take precedence.

I went ahead and stuck to the original hop schedule. However, I grabbed the wrong yeast. I wanted English Ale and grabbed Dry English Ale. I went ahead and pitched anyway. We will see what happens.

Back