Single Engine Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
Had some of these during a recent trip to Alaska. Made by the Denali Brewing company. Nice Amber ale, very smooth.

I've looked around for a clone recipe but found nothing. Has anyone seen any info on this brew?

Cheers...

Well the brewery's own website would be the usual place to start, which tells you "5.6% ABV | 46 IBUs...Brewed with five choice American and European malts"...

and "an amber-style ale; very flavorful but not heavy, strong or cloyingly sweet. It can be compared to Killian’s Irish Red, although it differs in that ours is an ale, not a lager. However, it has some of the same malty highlights as Killian’s."

The AHA have a recipe for Denali's Mother Ale, a steam beer that is bittered with Mt Hood and Sterling, has Saaz and Sterling at 10 & 15, then dry hopped with Saaz, Sterling and Chinook. Given that it makes sense for breweries to use as many of the same hops as possible, it wouldn't surprise me if Single Engine used Mt Hood for bittering and in the kettle, and there might be some Saaz or Chinook added late somewhere.

But given the comparison to Killian's, I'd look at this thread for inspiration and tweak accordingly - the reference to ale and not too sweet implies an ale yeast with reasonable attenuation, something like S-04 or WLP007, alternatively WLP004 Irish would be an obvious choice.

Thanks for the input and time you have taken to research this. I had viewed the Denali website info but that was about it.

Back