Single canned kit FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHdriver

Reaction score
I had an expired muntons canned Pilsner kit laying around so I though I'd brew it into a 3 gal batch, so leave out all/most of the sugar to hopefully get a slightly heavier beer. It's been fermenting for 10 days and I took the fist gravity and it's 1.018 and the OG was 1.044. This seems a little high if it's the FG. Will the LME lose fermentability over time?
I did 'proof' the yeast and it seemed viable, but it was the yeast from the can.

how out of date? if it was something like a year i would have dumped it. the fg from kits can vary wildly. warm it up a small bit for 2 days and give it a shake. leave it till next weekend to bottle. the instructions with the kit are only a guideline. double all times given. the yeast did work to get it down that low. the lme should not loose fermentability unless its so out of date its turning color. DWRAHAHB

It expired in 2011, I forget what month, I had an afternoon to kill and an empty carboy so I brewed it up, I figured I had not much to loose. I won't be bottling it right away I'm going to 'lager/age' it in a small barrel for a few weeks/month to see if the flavours will mellow then keg it. I'm in the process of warming it up.

Back