Since it seems to be IPA season...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artfldodger

Reaction score
It looks like from the posts today I'm not the only one setting up to brew an IPA soon. This was taken (and heavily modified to fit the LHBS stock) from a DFH 60 min recipe i saw somewhere.

I'm debating on running back there and adding a little crystal... Let me know what you think!

60 Min Doppleganger

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.25 Wort Size (Gal): 5.25
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.71
Anticipated OG: 1.070 Plato: 17.00
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 62.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
41.2 4.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5
34.0 3.30 lbs. Muntons LME - Extra Light England 1.037 3
20.6 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
4.2 0.41 lbs. Munich Malt Great Britain 1.037 6

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.60 16.6 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.60 16.6 50 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.60 12.7 40 min.
0.15 oz. Nugget Pellet 12.20 4.9 35 min.
0.15 oz. Nugget Pellet 12.20 4.0 30 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.50 3.7 25 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.50 2.4 15 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.50 1.5 5 min.
0.70 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.50 0.0 0 min.
0.59 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.60 0.0 Dry Hop
0.59 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.59 oz. Nugget Pellet 12.20 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

This looks like the hops addition of someone with OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder). So when do you have time to sit back and sip on some cold ones? :tank:

Marc.

I honestly don't think your 4% of Munich malt is going to be noticable under all those hops! If you're looking for some malt character I wouldn't be afraid to throw in a pound -- you'll have enough enzymes to convert it. I'm a big fan of IPA's being very pale so I'd skip the crystal malt, and if you're looking for more body use carapils.

Aside from that I love the obscene hopping schedule!

I'm brewing up a DFH 60 min IPA clone this weekend, actually it's Papazian's version.

I agree with mysterio--I don't think your grainbill is really going to stand up to the massive hops presence in there. I fear it will taste like BMC with 10 times the amount of hops.

I'd go with either some crystal or at least a pound of munich. Actualy, I'd go with both, but I'd at least go with one or the other to get some malt backbone in there. I also really like a bit of something nutty in an IPA, like some victory or just some toasted 2-row.

Hah, yeah the hop schedule is a bit over the top, but I just divide everything up before hand into small bags so I can go on autopilot and the measuring doesnt get in the way of my drinking.

I'm not looking for something too malty as I tend to like the lighter, more citrusy IPAs. But, Cweston, I like the idea of slight nutty flavor, could I just put a pound or so of the pre-crushed 2-row in the oven to toast it? Or maybe add 1lb or so of victory or biscut?

The munich is just left overs that I thought might fit in here, but if its useless I'll drop it. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I dont have many batches under my belt yet so I really dont know the final taste of the grains.

so to sum up:

drop the munich
.5-1# of carpils
.5-1# of victory/biscut
and maybe throw some oak chips in the secondary.

Back