Simplest Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlabonte96

Reaction score
I’m a noob with all of this still so cut me some slack lol.

So I did a little research about making an easy hard cider. Basically apple juice and yeast.

Has anyone every tried this?

I read one person adding a cup of corn sugar to increase alcohol content a little.

Is it really that easy of buying a gallon of ORGANIC apple juice and adding yeast as far as ingredients?

So I did a little research about making an easy hard cider. Basically apple juice and yeast.

I read one person adding a cup of corn sugar to increase alcohol content a little.

Is it really that easy of buying a gallon of ORGANIC apple juice and adding yeast as far as ingredients?

I do that sometimes - just apple juice, I add pectic enzyme to help keep it clear, then some Danstar Nottingham yeast and let it go. From there you can backsweeten if you want (another couple of steps), make it sparkling (another step or two) or drink it still.

Just juice and yeast will get the job done with little fuss. It may be drier than you like - It might not. It is easy enough to fix that in a few weeks when your done. I kinda like SO4 for this role. Someone mentioned pappy's pub cider - It is pretty easy too and works pretty much as advertised. Switching from the EC-1118 recommended to D47 will usually help assure that the ferment stops at 1.030 -1.020. Sometimes EC-1118 will go ahead and rip through all the sugar no matter how much you wish otherwise. NORMALLY it quits as listed at 13-14%. But once in a while . . . .
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pappy-s-pub-cider-award-winner.408610/

My best was my simplest. Similar to Jako's recipe above but add a cup of chopped raisins...

I also used brown sugar and Saflager yeast, as I was able to maintain temp at 12-15C. Nottingham would be good also.

Nothing else added, once bottled from the carboy, I don't recall even adding priming sugars - there was enough residuals to provide a sufficient light carbonation.

By far the best tasting cider I have done.

My best was my simplest. Similar to Jako's recipe above but add a cup of chopped raisins...

I also used brown sugar and Saflager yeast, as I was able to maintain temp at 12-15C. Nottingham would be good also.

Nothing else added, once bottled from the carboy, I don't recall even adding priming sugars - there was enough residuals to provide a sufficient light carbonation.

By far the best tasting cider I have done.

oh yeah! yeast nutrition will help a ton. its not a must but now that i use it will never go without. especially if you start pushing the ABV it will help the cider finish faster with less time spent conditioning.

This is the info I am looking for too. Has anyone tried to use maple syrup in place of sugar? Honey?

And I need more information on time frames. I heard pour in apple juice and sugar and mix well, shaking alot. Read OG and if it is below 1.05 to add more sugars until it is above that Then add yeast and wait 2 weeks? Then what? How do I back sweeten for carbonation? I tried to carbonate the mead I just made and it taste good, but no fizz... :(

Thanks!

FL Bill

I've had my best results with Aldi's apple juice plus 2 or 3 ounces of sugar per gallon, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient per gallon, and Cote des Blancs or S-33 or AW4 yeast. (all 3 yeasts were good, and they all tasted different) My latest batch with 4 ounces of sugar and fermented with K1V-1116 yeast slurry from a beer secondary fermenter, is still pretty green but seems to be a winner.

I haven't used maple syrup or honey, but I have used old jars of crabapple jelly that had turned brown but still tasted okay. The brown all settles out when the yeast clears.

I don't backsweeten mine, I drink it dry. Or add a sugar cube to my glass and pour in just a little cider, swirl it around to dissolve the sugar, then pour the rest. Making a simple syrup would work a lot better that sugar cubes, but I seldom sweeten it. One sugar cube is still pretty dry, but it brings the apple flavor back if the yeast took it too dry.

Thank you, I was at Aldi the other day and I only saw the Organic from concentrate. Is that what you use? I think it has other juices too. Maybe I saw the other juices at Aldi and I am confused on that added juice part, but I know it is from concentrate. I really want to make a carbonated batch, but I will go for still this round and just see how it taste.

I was also thinking about adding a stick of cinnamon...thoughts?
FL Bill

100%, no preservatives, half pack of dry cider yeast per one gallon (or whole pack to five gallons)...6% ABV more-or-loss.

Thank you, I was at Aldi the other day and I only saw the Organic from concentrate. Is that what you use? I think it has other juices too. Maybe I saw the other juices at Aldi and I am confused on that added juice part, but I know it is from concentrate. I really want to make a carbonated batch, but I will go for still this round and just see how it taste.

FL Bill

I use the plastic half-gallon bottles of juice; $1.19 each. It is probably from concentrate. They also have an "organic" version of the same thing that costs a little more but is still cheap. I have no experience with adding spices, but cinnamon does not sound good to me :p

FL Bill

adding cinnamon sticks is very common. i am not a fan of spiced anything. but some are okay.

I started my cider a few days ago. I need some guidance on when I should do first rack? And how to carbonate? Or skip rack and just bottle...?

So far it has clouded up nicely and is gassing off a lot. It looks healthy. However I have no idea how it should look or what I am talking about.

First things first:
Is there a definitive point when I should rack it or bottle it?

And when (and how) do I carbonate? (I am still considering leaving it still)

I started my cider a few days ago. I need some guidance on when I should do first rack? And how to carbonate? Or skip rack and just bottle...?

So far it has clouded up nicely and is gassing off a lot. It looks healthy. However I have no idea how it should look or what I am talking about.

First things first:
Is there a definitive point when I should rack it or bottle it?

And when (and how) do I carbonate? (I am still considering leaving it still)

The answer is bottle when it's done fermenting. You can carb in bottles at 1/2tsp of table sugar per 12oz bottle...adjust accordingly.

Yes, that's how my first cider was done, and I thought it was good! Brought it to a boat party and it was definitely a crowd pleaser lol.

All I did was buy the whole foods organic apple juice jugs and throw wyeast cider yeast + wait. The OG was already 1.050 so you can get a decent strength cider without adding sugar, depending how strong you like it.

Yes, that's how my first cider was done, and I thought it was good! Brought it to a boat party and it was definitely a crowd pleaser lol.

All I did was buy the whole foods organic apple juice jugs and throw wyeast cider yeast + wait. The OG was already 1.050 so you can get a decent strength cider without adding sugar, depending how strong you like it.

Yup,

I have another batch fermenting right now, and I use Santa Cruz Organic juice. Can't go wrong, and as you noted you should get somewhere around 6% ABV.

When is fermentation done? The bubbling has slowed down a lot. Should I just place sugar (1tsp in 750ml bottle) in bottle and then transfer? And I should not refrigerate until after about a week? Thanks for all the feedback!

FL Bill

When is fermentation done? The bubbling has slowed down a lot. Should I just place sugar (1tsp in 750ml bottle) in bottle and then transfer? And I should not refrigerate until after about a week? Thanks for all the feedback!

FL Bill

It's done when it's done ;) but give it about 2ish weeks. You could go the correct route and take hydrometer readings though, but otherwise two weeks is probably safe.

1/2tsp per 12oz bottle, adjust accordingly.

You need to leave it for another 2ish weeks to bottle condition before putting it in the fridge. In the fridge for roughly 24-48 hours before cracking open. Walla, you got cider!

Last edited:

Mine is usually almost done in a week -- but it takes another 2 or 3 (or 4) weeks to finish. Don't rush it.

TwistedGray said:
1tsp per 12oz bottle, adjust accordingly.
Are you sure about that? That sounds like too much. A teaspoon in a 500 ml bottle might be okay. I do it by weight (mass); 7 grams per liter. Actually, for 11 and 12 ounce bottles I use Domino Dots sugar cubes. For larger bottles, I weigh the sugar on a gram scale and pour it in the bottles with a little stainless steel funnel.

Are you sure about that? That sounds like too much. A teaspoon in a 500 ml bottle might be okay. I do it by weight (mass); 7 grams per liter. Actually, for 11 and 12 ounce bottles I use Domino Dots sugar cubes. For larger bottles, I weigh the sugar on a gram scale and pour it in the bottles with a little stainless steel funnel.

Ermahgod, thanks! You are absolutely correct, and I have edited my post accordingly. That would have been TWICE the amount, eeeeek!!

Thanks every one. My OG was 1.060 on June 8th, I pulled a small sample last night and it is now at 1.004 12 days later. I am going to be going out of town for a week and was worried about letting it sit for another week. So I am going to pull it tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

FL Bill

Thanks every one. My OG was 1.060 on June 8th, I pulled a small sample last night and it is now at 1.004 12 days later. I am going to be going out of town for a week and was worried about letting it sit for another week. So I am going to pull it tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

FL Bill

Just leave it for that week, keep out of the sun, and you'll be pleased when you get back. Sitting in the carboy for a week will not do it any harm.

Wish me luck!

FL Bill

It's not finished yet. It's almost finished. It can stay like that for a month if it has an air lock; just leave it alone. :)

I base my judgement of when it is done on when the yeast has mostly cleared, so my call is always longer than those who monitor with hydrometer readings. When I made cider, I used Treetop pasteurized no additives apple juice. I poured two gallons into my two sanitized one gallon carboys and pitched a half pack of rehydrated Nottingham in each carboy and fermented at 68 degrees for eight weeks. Beer usually takes 3-4 weeks to be done the way I do it, so the eight weeks was an excruciatingly long time. When it was done I primed with 1/4 cup table sugar and bottled. I think because I didn’t use nutrient, I got some sulfur smells in the first couple weeks. By the time I bottled the cider was clean and crisp. I liked the dryness with carbonation and no back sweetening, but I just prefer beer, so I probably won’t be making a lot more cider in the future. Here is a picture of a flight of my homebrew that includes my cider.
IMG_0679.jpg

I base my judgement of when it is done on when the yeast has mostly cleared, so my call is always longer than those who monitor with hydrometer readings. When I made cider, I used Treetop pasteurized no additives apple juice. I poured two gallons into my two sanitized one gallon carboys and pitched a half pack of rehydrated Nottingham in each carboy and fermented at 68 degrees for eight weeks. Beer usually takes 3-4 weeks to be done the way I do it, so the eight weeks was an excruciatingly long time. When it was done I primed with 1/4 cup table sugar and bottled. I think because I didn’t use nutrient, I got some sulfur smells in the first couple weeks. By the time I bottled the cider was clean and crisp. I liked the dryness with carbonation and no back sweetening, but I just prefer beer, so I probably won’t be making a lot more cider in the future. Here is a picture of a flight of my homebrew that includes my cider.View attachment 576031

Try a dedicated cider yeast next time. Is it possible that smell came from the Nottingham selection? No need to sweeten with a dedicated cider yeast, in my experience.

The first two times I did cider I regretfully used Nottingham as well. Neither came out that well.

Last edited:
One of my batches of wine or cider (don't remember which, so obviously I don't remember details like what yeast it was) smelled sulfury; I added a little yeast nutrient and the smell went away within hours. FWIW.

I remember doing a cider with either a Belgian or Trappist yeast. One of my favourites during that hot summer however many years ago.

Try a dedicated cider yeast next time. Is it possible that smell came from the Nottingham selection? No need to sweeten with a dedicated cider yeast, in my experience.

The first two times I did cider I regretfully used Nottingham as well. Neither came out that well.

Most commercial cider is gross. I liked my dry cider a 100 times better than Angry Orchard. I wasn’t at all displeased with the result and the sulfur smell was completely gone when I bottled. Of the flight pictured, my wife liked the cider best and it isn’t because she doesn’t like beer. She will drink anything from a golden ale to an imperial IPA. She doesn’t prefer stouts as much as I do, but can appreciate certain examples like Uncle Bear’s Peanut Butter Cup Stout. So I think the cider was pretty good. As far as Nottingham, I think it leaves a flavor that I can’t taste. Marshall from Brülosophy was throwing all kinds of shade at Nottingham for an off flavor he gets, so I think it creates some compound that is light or unnoticeable for some and off putting for others. Another example of this phenomenon is citra hops. Some people can’t stand them, but for me they’re quite pleasant. On the other end of the same scale, cascade hops taste insipid to me and a lot of people say they like them very much.

Anyhoo, the reason I am not so into cider is I really enjoy all the drama on brew day with the mash temps and hop additions. Also, I just really like beer a lot. I like martinis or old fashioneds or wine, but 9 out of ten times if I have the choice, I’ll choose beer.

you can slightly degass the cider to help with surfer smell. or you can just call it Yellowstone cider lol.

I'm back from my vacation and I have to say the cider has completely cleared. I am going to bottled tonight. I already have sugar in my bottles. I think, if I understand correctly, that in 2 weeks I need to refrigerate. Sound right? Thanks!!

I'm back from my vacation and I have to say the cider has completely cleared. I am going to bottled tonight. I already have sugar in my bottles. I think, if I understand correctly, that in 2 weeks I need to refrigerate. Sound right? Thanks!!

That should be long enough to carbonate. You can always leave it longer, but it won't benefit from shorter. You also don't need to move all of it into the fridge, but give it two days in the fridge before drinking... Pretty standard for all HB, bottles conditioned beers.

The two best ciders I ever made (the only two I would make again) were simple.

One was Trader Joe's Honeycrisp Cider plus WY1469 and nothing else (apart from a small amount of priming sugar).

One was in a sense even simpler (less ingrdients)- some unpasteurized raw orchard cider, with nothing added but time and luck (ie spontaneous fermentation, but I'm no stranger to sours). And then a little priming sugar and champagne yeast after about 6 mos and a few times racking off lees.

The former was delicious and easily repeatable. The latter was more of a gamble but absolutely sublime.

Getting raw cider can be tougher due to the safery risk for orchards. My LHBS gets (got?) some every now and then, pre-buy it and pick it up immediately. But the TJs stuff seems to be readily available every fall, assuming you have a Trader Joes nearby.

I sampled some at it is great. I took readings off it and it is around 1.000 hard to tell because it has bubbles forming on gauge all the time. 1.002 at most.

Back