Simplest (?) Keggle Cutting Jig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the largest diameter this will cut? I know it is limited to the handle length, but from the center of my handle to the blade is only about 8".

Edit: Never mind, I just remembered this concept called math. R=1/2D

Oh yeah, if you've got a cheap angle grinder from HF, it won't work. The handles are 180 degrees to the blade. There is no way to use the handle at 90 degrees to get the blade perpendicular to the keg top. Looks like using Bobby's jig for me.

I just got a keg that was half-full of 2 month old Bud lite. I had to taste it. It was absoultely the worst s--t I have ever tasted. I will never dis' my own homebrew again!

I just got a keg that was half-full of 2 month old Bud lite. I had to taste it. It was absoultely the worst s--t I have ever tasted. I will never dis' my own homebrew again!

I was at a street fair tonight. There was a trailer with a bud tap. $3. I had to taste it. It was absoultely the worst s--t I have ever tasted. I will never dis' my own homebrew again! True.

I can't believe you tasted it. That is funny as hell.

Yeah the guy told me it was 2 months old, but when I broke the seal it was stilll carbonated, not flat. It smelled ok, but it was awful . I must say that budlight does not age well. But I've got the materials for a brand new keggle.
the beer is feeding the grass in the back yard. That keg had a lot of pressure!

I'm going to have to give this a try. thanks for the idea on cutting the top off. was just going to free hand a plasma cutter...

I have been procrastinating doing the cut on my keg... now I'm glad I waited... the idea of making the hole the size of a large lid never entered my mind... duh.
Thanks a million for posting your jig and for whoever mentioned the 12" pot lid.

Just in time, buddy and I are going to convert a half dozen kegs this week.

PROST!

It's cool how everyone comes up with different ideas for these jigs. I was planing on using a hole saw like someone else suggested but mine was a tad too big to fit inside. I ended up using the hole saw to cut a hole in a small 2x4 piece, drilled a thru hole to the grinder and secured it with a 1/4-20 bolt. The screw on the other end keeps it all level.

jig.jpg

You the man passedpawn!!! I just acquired a keg from the local beer distrubutor and you have definetly shown the way. Thanks for input.

Super job. I really like that it fits over the lid like that.

There is no doubt that a superior jig can be built, and your's is a very fine example. Mine, though, is pretty good for those that want to put the least amount of effort into building a jig :)

I made mine with a 1 - 1/4 inch coupler with a male threaded end.
The threaded end twisted onto the center of the keg without having removed the spear.

This saved the step of removing the spear and the spear serves as a support so the whole thing doesn't have the chance to fall into the keg. And the stainless steel umbrellas that result make for nice gifts.

(and another reminder to don't forget to de-pressurize the keg first by pressing the ball valve!)

the angle grinder i picked up at harbor freight didn't have the correct handle mounting position to set up the OP's rig, but a little brainstorming (and plenty of zip ties) resulted in this:

http://www.overcarbed.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMGP3228.jpg

i used the 1-1/4" PVC coupler and flipped my support PVC tube upside down, and zip tied the grinder to the PVC tube with a couple pieces of scrap wood between the two dictating the desired diameter. it was very basic and worked very well. i just spun the PVC tube around to cut, and used up a quarter of one cheap harbor freight cutoff wheel for 2 kegs.

It's cool how everyone comes up with different ideas for these jigs. I was planing on using a hole saw like someone else suggested but mine was a tad too big to fit inside. I ended up using the hole saw to cut a hole in a small 2x4 piece, drilled a thru hole to the grinder and secured it with a 1/4-20 bolt. The screw on the other end keeps it all level.

jig.jpg

I made a jig using this method to cut off a keg top a few days ago and it worked perfectly. I did not remove the spear as someone suggested and that also worked well to keep the cut out from falling into the keg while cutting. It took longer to make the jig than it did to make the cut. The most difficult part about making the jig was setting it up to cut the hole to the right size to fit a 12" lid, but that was just a matter of measuring carefully from the keg center to the grinder cutting disc.

Just to offer up a super simple way of doing this, I used the HF 3" air cutoff tool, let the blade guard ride against the keg handle rim, and the tool handle (by the air inlet) sit on the keg tap connector. Made a nice, circular cut just under the size of a 12" lid. I then cleaned it up with a flap disc in my grinder.
image_1307.jpg

Just to offer up a super simple way of doing this, I used the HF 3" air cutoff tool, let the blade guard ride against the keg handle rim, and the tool handle (by the air inlet) sit on the keg tap connector. Made a nice, circular cut just under the size of a 12" lid. I then cleaned it up with a flap disc in my grinder.
image_1307.jpg

Another nice one! Cheerz!

@Cat22 and all, a good tips is to not cut all the way through around so some tabs remains uncut here and there and the scrap/center doesn't fall off as you finish the cut. Those tabs doesn't have to be large ans very thick to hold the scrap/center in place. I finalized the cut with the rubber mallet to break the remaining tabs.

Very cool idea! It looks good to me. You can make the handle recess (the half circle cuts) by drilling through the pipe, both sides, with a 1" hole saw. Then cut the pipe at the center line. My only bit of warning on this is that you need to be careful when the lid cut is about to be complete. In other words, stop putting any weight on the pivot or the whole thing can fall into the keg. I made my jig so that part of it rested on the rolled edge of the keg for stability. You should add it to the wiki under "keggle".

What do you think about using a reciprocating saw with a metal blade on a keg? After drilling a large enough pilot hole, do you think the saw will work?

With enough TPI (tooth per inch), yes... it should work. Same rules apply though; slower speed of blade, pressure and cutting lubricant. Don't let the blade get (too) hot or you'll consume it in no time.

@Cat22 and all, a good tips is to not cut all the way through around so some tabs remains uncut here and there and the scrap/center doesn't fall off as you finish the cut.

I did not remove the spear before cutting the top. Leaving the spear in place prevents the lid from falling through the opening as you make the cut. Someone else came up with this suggestion and I ran with it. Worked perfectly. I don't remember whose idea that was, but it was brilliant.

Your method is as good as any I've seen. I wanted the opening to have a 12-1/4" diameter, so I really had to make a jig of some kind to hold that dimension. I like using the blade guard idea, but it would be a dumb luck if that spacing got me the desired hole dimension. I suppose you could shim the guard somehow if the hole was too large, but not if it was too small.

What do you think about using a reciprocating saw with a metal blade on a keg? After drilling a large enough pilot hole, do you think the saw will work?

A reciprocating (Sawzall type) saw is definitely capable of cutting stainless, but it would be very difficult to control. IOW, it would be hard to saw out a nice clean and uniform hole with that type of saw. It's like an axe vs a table saw kind of thing. It could be done, but it will be a major PIA.

A reciprocating (Sawzall type) saw is definitely capable of cutting stainless, but it would be very difficult to control. IOW, it would be hard to saw out a nice clean and uniform hole with that type of saw. It's like an axe vs a table saw kind of thing. It could be done, but it will be a major PIA.

That was my concern. I can borrow a relatives' grinder and make a jig. Just need to get the right metal disc. Thanks for the thought/advice.

Back