Simplest (and cheapest) remote fermentation controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t1m1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could you please help me about though decision about what to do. What I want to say is that my brewery is around 15 km far from my home address and sometimes is really PITA to go there just to raise temperature on my STC1000 controller (for example, diacetyl rest).

Is there any simple DIY or plug and play solution for my problems, I would like to see and be able to control my fermentation all the time, with my phone and PC. ATM, I don't have Internet connection there but will solve the problem soon.

Please, help, thank you in advance.

Checkout Sonoff TH

Can be controlled from a smart phone as is or can be flashed with custom BruControl firmware. Can also be flashed with MQTT firmware and be controlled with CraftbeerPi or basic MQTT

Is it reliable with original firmware? I've read somewhere that it's too slow with sampling and about cases where fermentation temperature went to high because of it.

Is it reliable with original firmware? I've read somewhere that it's too slow with sampling and about cases where fermentation temperature went to high because of it.

Here is a demonstration video with the original firmware. Sampling rate seems to be a few seconds max. Not sure if it can be set lower as I have only used it with custom firmware.

Hi guys,

Could you please help me about though decision about what to do. What I want to say is that my brewery is around 15 km far from my home address and sometimes is really PITA to go there just to raise temperature on my STC1000 controller (for example, diacetyl rest).

Is there any simple DIY or plug and play solution for my problems, I would like to see and be able to control my fermentation all the time, with my phone and PC. ATM, I don't have Internet connection there but will solve the problem soon.

Please, help, thank you in advance.
brucontrol... It runs on windows so you can remote in easily. I use it myself but havent remoted in yet. It uses an off the shelf arduino and relays.. you can write and edit scripts for different ramping profiles too.. Its also great for controlling the electric brewery.

IMG_20171107_081114825.jpg

IMG_20171012_161959783.jpg

IMG_20171010_113128202.jpg

IMG_20171105_170239943.jpg

How about BrewPiLess?
NodeMcu or D1 mini $5~
Relay module $2~
DS18B20 temp sensor 2x $1.5~

A box and the wire related stuff might cost you more than all of above, though.

To control it remotely, VPN would be best solution. IMO, VPN is the best solution in whatever temp control solutions.

I purchased the following the following controller to solve the same problem.
It works remotely with Apple phones only. It's similar to the standard inkbird controller but only controls one device (heat OR cold, not both).

Inkbird WiFi controller

I've purchased it but haven't yet used it as I have Android, depending on my brewing partner to get it set up. :(

Should be a simple solution to your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about BrewPiLess?
NodeMcu or D1 mini $5~
Relay module $2~
DS18B20 temp sensor 2x $1.5~

A box and the wire related stuff might cost you more than all of above, though.

To control it remotely, VPN would be best solution. IMO, VPN is the best solution in whatever temp control solutions.

I think this will be my solution for troubles as I have Android phone (referred to post above), 2 channel relay module and 2 temp sensors with 2m cables already. I think I've just found NodeMcu too.

As a matter of Internet connection there, I will buy router with SIM card slot in it and use it with some cheap prepaid card. I think that 500 MB monthly will be OK for one fermentation process. :D :D :D

brucontrol... It runs on windows so you can remote in easily. I use it myself but havent remoted in yet. It uses an off the shelf arduino and relays.. you can write and edit scripts for different ramping profiles too.. Its also great for controlling the electric brewery.

It looks like a little bit too complicated for fermentation process only, and expensive. :D

It looks like a little bit too complicated for fermentation process only, and expensive. :D
Yeah I missed the cheapest remark. Although thats kind of relative to what you get and it does and what else you can use it for.
This is pretty cheap the software is the pricey part at around $100 but being that it can run the whole brewery with a $12 arduino as the brain its really not bad. To some a $50 Craigslist fridge is too pricey and unnecessary..

The four stc1000 units I used with alpha firmware before this cost me like $60... Consider this uses $3 solenoid valves and cheap heat strips with about $8 of discharge hose as the cooling coil wrapped around each fermenter this really is a budget setup and the cost is very low compared to every other conical temp control system with the same capabilities..

I agree with you, totally, and I really like brucontrol's GUI, it is very powerful, for sure.

Just, not the right time for that at the moment.

Back