Simple Starches in the Mash from Veggies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarzBock

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use some cheaper starch sources in the mash as an adjunct. I'm thinking instant potatoe powder as an easy starch source.

Also, has anyone ever tried to use CARROTS in the mash? Recently, I cooked some carrots in butter (saute), and the carrots were definetly SWEET. I thought that maybe there were some enzymes in the carrots that are converting the starches into sugar at saute heat levels. Of course I thought to myself "why can't I put this in my beer?". It might even be... gasp... healthy !!

If this is possible/good idea, then the whole world of tuber-like veggies will open up to new beer flavors. I figure if one can use pumpkins, why not try other starchy vegetables. There are radishes, beets, squashes, taro root, sweet potatoes, etc. If it weren't so expensive, those "Terra Chips" would be a good source of mixed exotic tubers, but at $6 for 10oz, it might get little expensive.

Anyway.. just throwing this out there. Any opinions to share??

cheers,
marz

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use some cheaper starch sources in the mash as an adjunct. I'm thinking instant potatoe powder as an easy starch source.

A "Good Idea" from what perspective? Saving money? Better tasting beer?

Hard to improve on water + malt + hops + yeast.

I like carrots but I don't think they belong in my beer. And Instant Potatoes should be confined to KFC.

IMHO

No, not really from a saving money perspective, just from an experimental perspective. I suppose my point is that if Pumpkin beer is good, why not carrot beer, or squash beer?

Maybe the instant potatoes are a stretch, but one can make vodka out of potatoes, so why not as an adjunct to up the alcohol?

Anyway.. I'll let this die, as it doesn't seem like anyone is very interested. thanks anyway

I dunno, sounds interesting enough. I'm sure its been done before. I mean a guy used popcorn on here. I don't see what the harm at a somewhat cheap experiment could do. Try a half batch and just do it simple. 90% 2 row, 5-10% carrots (or what have you), and perhaps a wee bit of wheat for head retention. Use mostly bittering hops so you can taste what the carrots bring to the table. You might be surprised with the results. Also I think caramelizing the carrots would def yield the best results.

I have made a beer with sweet potatoes, and I've definitely heard of people using potatoes to make beer (might have even been from BYO). Vegetables aren't that far out there.

You might want to check out how starchy a carrot is though, and if you need to cook it first (to gelatinize whatever starches may be in there). Hell, if you can use RICE or CORN, then why not anything else? Those are weird too.

Try it and see what happens! I can almost guarantee that it will work, (but not that it will be good!).

"Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher has a section on using vegetables. He has one recipe that uses parsnips. I don't remember what else offhand. You should try it. Sounds fun.

Back