Simple Keg Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Using an infrared thermometer and masking tape. I already have both, the thermometer cost $16 on Amazon. But it won't read on shiny metal, so I put a strip of masking tape on the keg. Rub my hand on it to warm it, shoot it with the gun. Where it changes from 60 to 42 is the beer level.
Both of my kegs are getting low, time to brew again. Thankfully I have two other full kegs standing by, but that can go quick.

Using an infrared thermometer and masking tape. I already have both, the thermometer cost $16 on Amazon. But it won't read on shiny metal, so I put a strip of masking tape on the keg. Rub my hand on it to warm it, shoot it with the gun. Where it changes from 60 to 42 is the beer level.
Both of my kegs are getting low, time to brew again. Thankfully I have two other full kegs standing by, but that can go quick.

I didn't think of that! Thanks! I would just pick up my kegs to estimate

I used to do that too. But they are kind of wedged in the fridge. So pulling them out and picking them up meant stirring up a little sediment too. Now I don't disturb them, and it's quick.

Back