Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhhhh think I did something wrong here (how could anyone screw up this recipe)... The wort is a caramel color. I expected it to be something more golden...

Hopefully it looks dark because it is in the carboy and will look lighter when in the glass or the yeasties are going to take care of things...

Just racked to the keg after 10 days in primary. It's the best tasting beer i have made yet when tasted at this phase. I'm pretty excited and a little worried that I don't have more going already.

Just bottled. Tasted great. I am never in a hurry to drink my beers - but I wouldn't mind cracking these in a few days.

Cracked open a 6er over dinner with the in-laws last night. They all loved them (my previous brews have gotten mixed reviews) and my sister-in-law wanted to reserve some of the batch for herself.

I have a feeling I will be making LOTS more of this recipe.

I am fermenting this right now. It has been in the fermenter for a day now. It smells amazing and I can't wait to taste it. I ended up using crystal 20L as I couldn't find carahell or crystal 10L. The color turned out very nice even though I used the 20L. I also used ale yeast since I didn't want to wait on a mail order. There is a strong banana scent with the ingredients I have used, so I think it will turn out great!

Bottling this tonight! I was wondering how all of yours turned out? Good, bad, or ugly? So far mine is going great! I can't wait to taste it.

I am looking to do this recipe. After 10d in primary, would 1 or 2 weeks in secondary hurt this original recipe before bottling? Or if I decide to NOT do secondary, how long in bottle normally? ... Cheers .... Ed

I brewed this last week exactly as written and it seemed to go pretty well. I did decide to use Wyeast 3068 instead of the yeast you had suggested. I recommend using a blow off tube to anyone who makes this as fermentation was quite vigorous.

My wife really wanted a raspberry version so I am splitting the batch in two and adding a little raspberry extract to one half before bottling and then I am leaving the other half plain. I'll report back with how it tastes after a few weeks in the bottle.

Thanks for the easy to follow and easy to brew recipe!

Wanted to add a quick follow up. I bottled this today and the samples taste fantastic. I went ahead and put in 3oz of Raspberry extract in the entire batch and it tastes great. Not too sweet and not too fake. I can't wait for this to be ready in a few weeks to try.

I also wanted to add a note to everyone who was having concerns about the color. When I looked at the beer in the bucket, it looks like it's darker than I was aiming for. But then the second I took a sample, it was obvious that it was the perfect color. If you follow the directions with the late extract addition, this should turn out the perfect color.

Ok im new here and dont know how this forum works i hope im in right spot. Took a look at this recipe and wanted to know if anyone converted it to a grain mashing recipe and what is size of batch

wvujaw said:
I was thinking about adding vanilla extract to mine, any opinions?

No don't add artificials this recipe is good if you want change the hops to a more citrusy hop but, no. Vanilla extract will ruin it.

I just cracked open a few bottles of my modified version of this and they were great! Thanks again for the recipe!

I asked a while ago if anyone has an all grain version of this recipe. No one replied seems rude to me but o well. anyone have ag version of this or something similar would be nice i need it as a base for a brew im thinking about doing please be kind people

I asked a while ago if anyone has an all grain version of this recipe. No one replied seems rude to me but o well. anyone have ag version of this or something similar would be nice i need it as a base for a brew im thinking about doing please be kind people

I figured not replying would be less rude than just replying "No." I'm guessing most others felt the same way.

Either way, I haven't seen one. There are quite a few all-grain Hefeweizen recipes on the site, so I would just go with one of those and adjust it to your liking.

Just a stab at all grain
6.00 lb pale malt 2 row
4.00 lb wheat malt
.5 lb carahell

1.00 oz tettnanger

Danstar Munich yeast

Thanks will start there. Guess no answer could mean no didnt think that way next time ill know. Let u guys no how it turns out when brewing is done.

i just switched to AG this weekend and this is the recipe i did. i know what ozzfest posted was a stab in the dark but if you want to do a true authentic bavarian style hefe you need 50% or wheat malt not having the majority pale 2-row as posted. ..... Ed

Thanks ill adjust the mix and try it im going for more of an american wheat not as cloudy as normal hef with a gold color almost like a light hef if such a thing and using prickly pear in it for a twist instead of lemon or orange i guess u can call it prickly wheat beer. dont want usual fruit beer style going something more supple hoping to get some color and just a hint of flavor from prickly pear

Just ordered the ingredients for this one with the exception of the yeast. Place I ordered from did not have Danstar Munich, so I substituted Safbrew 33 yeast.

I am looking forward to getting all the supplies in and getting after it. This will be the first batch I have brewed in about 12 years!

I also ordered a turkey cooker with a 30 qt. pot, so I may try to advance to some all grain brewing in the future.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out when I brew it.

bricks said:
Just ordered the ingredients for this one with the exception of the yeast. Place I ordered from did not have Danstar Munich, so I substituted Safbrew 33 yeast.

I am looking forward to getting all the supplies in and getting after it. This will be the first batch I have brewed in about 12 years!

I also ordered a turkey cooker with a 30 qt. pot, so I may try to advance to some all grain brewing in the future.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out when I brew it.

See if they have wb-06 . S-33 is a higher finishing fg .

Is 10 days in primary plenty? Tonight is 10 days for me but fg reading was 1.014 so gong to give more time. I have read that 3 weeks is the general rule of thumb.

Is 10 days in primary plenty? Tonight is 10 days for me but fg reading was 1.014 so gong to give more time. I have read that 3 weeks is the general rule of thumb.

This one finished.pretty fast for me. I did give it about an extra 5 days just to be sure.

I am still sitting at 1.014 @ 14 days, should I just go ahead and keg since it hasn't dropped in 4 days?

Brewing this one as my first brew. Using Wyeast 3068 at the recommendation of another brewer instead of the dry, rehydrated yeast. Also using Hallerau instead of a Tettnanger.

i've made hefe's for years, and i made my first with munich yeast. made them with wb-06 ever since. 3068 leaves it too clear (should have yeast flavor and fogginess), and wlp-300? the lhbs can't seem to keep it alive; otherwise, i'd use that

i've made hefe's for years, and i made my first with munich yeast. made them with wb-06 ever since. 3068 leaves it too clear (should have yeast flavor and fogginess), and wlp-300? the lhbs can't seem to keep it alive; otherwise, i'd use that

Yeah I have to start somewhere though. If I find I don't like how it comes out I can always tweak my recipe. Thats how you learn right? I also don't plan to stick with extract brewing for a long time.

Have this in the fermenter with blowoff tube. Smells great. Looking forward to drinking this brew in 3-4 weeks :D

Brewed this today and like others have said it looks a bit dark in the fermenter. This is my first run with a new setup so I had a few snags, but this was a super simple recipe. OG was 1.042 so we shall see how it looks in ten days. :mug:

***EDIT***
For anyone that hasn't kegged this one. How long are you letting it sit for before drinking?

Brewed this today and like others have said it looks a bit dark in the fermenter. This is my first run with a new setup so I had a few snags, but this was a super simple recipe. OG was 1.042 so we shall see how it looks in ten days. :mug:

***EDIT***
For anyone that hasn't kegged this one. How long are you letting it sit for before drinking?

I'm going 10-14 days in primary and then 2-3 weeks in bottles.

When you do the boil on this... do you keep the grains in? Also, do you add the hops to the grain bag or just loose in the pot?
Am going to make my first brew this weekend or next and am leaning towards this one... also currently setting up a freezer kegerator...

When you do the boil on this... do you keep the grains in? Also, do you add the hops to the grain bag or just loose in the pot?
Am going to make my first brew this weekend or next and am leaning towards this one... also currently setting up a freezer kegerator...

no...steep the grains for about 20 minutes at 155°, then bring to a boil and add malt/hops. hops in a bag are up to you...i always just throw them in to the boil...no bag.

just got my ingredients super fast from Brewmasters Warehouse, i plan to brew this this weekend... :ban:

I have a packet of dry yeast and a 1/2 ounce each of Mt. Hood and Kent Goldings hops in the fridge, I might just pick up some wheat LME and steeping grains and try to make it this weekend.

Anyone try this with Nottingham dry yeast?

This is what I'd like to know, I have a packet of that in the fridge, although for a few bucks I might as well get the correct kind while at the HBS. And I have Mt. Hood and Willamette, not Kent Goldings for this, so I'll probably boil the Mt. Hood for 60 and Willamette only for the last 10 or so minutes.

I brewed this with nottingham. Just bottled it a few days ago and it had a slight banana spice taste which was very pleasing. Not as much banana as i had wanted. I will try this again but let it ferment at room temp around 75. I have done a cider at this temp and got a big banana kick which i didnt want in the cider but want in the wheat beer.

Latest posts

Back