Simple electric boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about about building a simple electric boil kettle for small batches. Basically I'd like a 3 gallon kettle with an element in the bottom, controlled by an on/off switch and a manual knob for adjusting the power output.

Is anyone able to point me to some good tutorials or blog posts on how to do this?

Kind of what I been looking for but is there one using an stc or is that even possible?

Kind of what I been looking for but is there one using an stc or is that even possible?

A temp controller is not a good solution for a boil kettle, because if you set it at the boil temp it will cycle boiling/not boiling, below set point will not boil, and above set point will boil too vigorously. That auber unit linked above will work well, as will a PID with manual mode (and each will also allow you to mash by setting a mash temp, if you wish). You could also use an SCR or the Auber DSPR1, that would only support boiling (not mash), but you would not be saving a significant amount of cash.

How much are you looking to boil? What size pot? It really doesn't have to be complicated at all....

The Grainfather has sold a boat load of units, and that just goes to full power to boil with 1800w.

With a larger kettle, say 5 gallons...a 1500w element, or perhaps 2000w will work fine with just an on off switch.

Good enough for the Grainfather that simply powers at 100% for boil.

Just size the element to the batch and kettle size. KISS

That's a good point, and no doubt a lot of simplicity to be had with just an on/off switch.

I do like to do different batch sizes and in the past have had problems with boiling off too much wort so I do like the idea of being able to adjust the boil rate if it's going a bit too strong.

I figured I'd start by converting a small kettle for 1-2 gallon batches then do my 5 or 10 gallon kettle later on if that works out.

Just wanting to avoid one of those complicated / expensive control panels with knobs / dials / pumps everywhere.

I guess my point is, if your looking for simple, 120v is a lot simpler, and due to the lower wattage output of 120v elements, there will likely be no need to turn the power down if you start with a generously sized kettle.

Using 120v elements, all I have ever wanted to do is turn them up, never down :)

I guess my point is, if your looking for simple, 120v is a lot simpler, and due to the lower wattage output of 120v elements, there will likely be no need to turn the power down if you start with a generously sized kettle.

Using 120v elements, all I have ever wanted to do is turn them up, never down :)

I live in New Zealand where all mains electricity to the home is 240v. So that is one less thing to deal with.

But point taken, go for lower wattage and size it to the batch so it can run at full power without the need for any sort of controller.

I live in New Zealand where all mains electricity to the home is 240v. So that is one less thing to deal with.

But point taken, go for lower wattage and size it to the batch so it can run at full power without the need for any sort of controller.

Well then, while this is simple, the downside is that it is a bit on the slow side....

The advantage for those w/ 120v, it's as simple and cheap as plugging into a kitchen GFI outlet.

Good luck with the build...

Back