simple control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anything wrong with using the SPA panel as the box to place everything else in?

By that I mean, you could have your PID/SSR, heatsink out the side etc.... then your main on/off would be the spa panel shutoff right?

You would have to have very few components for the spa panel to be large enough to accommodate them. More importantly, though, you would have hot lines into the spa panel even if the GFCI breaker were to trip, or you were to manually switch it off. I would recommend against it.

You would have to have very few components for the spa panel to be large enough to accommodate them. More importantly, though, you would have hot lines into the spa panel even if the GFCI breaker were to trip, or you were to manually switch it off. I would recommend against it.

point taken, so what about this combo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-240VAC-...719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8f55eeaf

Seems like this would add up to ~90 from auber

seems like this would cut costs quite a bit in parts but the question if it would work

dang that's a deal!

I'm nervous about cheap chinese electronics. Although for all I know Auber is made in China in the factory down the street. But it's a more expensive factory!

ScreenHunter_01Jul062045.jpg

This is a parts list I put together today with cost. So far it's a little over $600 without shipping.
1) I feel like I'm forgetting stuff. The electricians here would be able to tell me EXACTLY what I'm missing. Like in the diagram there are small fuses. don't know how many I need from that.
2) I have this planned with SSRs because, well everyone else seems to use them. What about contactors? does one have an advantage over the other (I read that contactors go off for sure where SSRs don't). do you need both?
3) What kind of wire do I use within the box to connect stuff together? Obviously I don't need thick stuff right?
4) The plugs from Auber cap out at 30A. That's fine for my element <> CP connection. But I was planning on having a line running from CP <> Spa panel, 50A. I'm assuming it's a no-no to have a 30A plug carrying voltage to a 50A spa panel. Even though with one element running it should be fine. But WHAT IF I use both?

These are questions I have for the electro whizzes on the forum

Back