Simcoe Mosaic Citra APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmac22

Reaction score
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.19%
IBU (tinseth): 49.69
SRM (morey): 5.76

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (71.1%)
2.5 lb - American - Vienna (22.2%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (6.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Magnum 60 min, IBU: 22.86
0.5 oz - Simcoe 10 min, IBU: 8.83
0.5 oz - Citra 10 min, IBU: 9.85
0.5 oz - Mosaic 10 min, IBU: 8.15
0.75 oz - Simcoe 0 min
0.75 oz - Citra 0 min
0.75 oz - Mosaic Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Simcoe Dry Hop for 4 days
0.5 oz - Citra Dry Hop for 4 days
0.5 oz - Mosaic Dry Hop for 4 days

Mash @ 151 and ferment with 1272 (first time using this yeast) @ 65* then increase slowly to 69* to finish.

Just looking for the thought of HBT to see what people think!

I definitely like the way this sounds.

I'm about to do something very similar. Trade out the Magnum for Warrior and remove the Simcoe though.

^ why do you suggest that? Just wondering. I only have Magnum and enjoy it's clean bittering characteristics. I also love me some Simcoe. Are you just not a fan of either or would you replace them with other hops?

Use the magnum, but double check your IBUs, I think they look a little low for that .5 oz of magnum @ 60. I could be wrong though.

And this recipe looks great, I have a very similar one on tap now... it's delicious.

I just bottled an IPA with simcoe, mosaic, and citra. The sample I had at bottling tasted amazing. Your recipe looks pretty good to me.

Should be no problem using magnum..... I use warrior a lot for bittering, I use Magnum a lot. Both work great.

I think it looks great. I like that the grain bill is simple. I have went to basically using a very clean/light grainbill on my IPA's/APA's and have been very happy with how they have been coming out. Love Caramel 20.
I use 92% 2 Row and then 2% each of wheat, flaked oats, honey malt and caramel 20.

The beer stays light and crisp, with just enough color, mouthfeel and head retention from the others.

That hop combo looks great too. Should be delicious pale ale.

Thanks fellas! If I've learned anything here, keeping it simple yields the best results! Does anyone have any input on the yeast?

I can't seem to reply to anyone on the mobile app but Braufessor-I love that light crisp style...especially in a pale ale. I haven't used honey malt yet...do you think it could fit into my recipe?

Sure - but, honey malt can get away from you in a hurry. It gives a touch of sweetness and malt backbone in small quantities, but I find it to get cloying when using too much.

To be honest - I think you have a nice recipe as it is. I would brew with what you have. Then, if you want to try altering some variables in future batches do that and compare. In regard to honey malt - 1-2% is plenty in my opinion and say you add 1/4 lb of honey malt, I would get rid of 1/4 pound caramel 20. the honey malt is also about 20-25L for color anyway.

1272 is a great yeast for this kind of beer.

I generally use 1056 or Conan yeast in my IPA's and pale ales. But I would not hesitate to use 1272. It is 1056 with a bit more character.

^ why do you suggest that? Just wondering. I only have Magnum and enjoy it's clean bittering characteristics. I also love me some Simcoe. Are you just not a fan of either or would you replace them with other hops?

I don't know for sure but what I think he's saying is that is what he's going to do with his similar brew. Not telling you what to do with your own brew, I would hope.

Recipe sounds good to me. Personally, I would add more hops. I bottle my beers and I've been finding that my pales and IPAs' hoppyness is not as pronounced as I'd like it to be after being in the bottle for 2-3 weeks. I do 3 gallon batches and find that I need about 6-8 oz per batch to get the pronounced hop flavor/aroma that I love. But that's just me.

I've used 1272 once before and it made a nice IPA.

Haha in any case, I was asking because I wanted to see why he would replace those hops. Always a learning experience to see why others do what they do!

I love more hops! Always a good choice but I love a lighter hopped beer every now and again.

What did you like about the 1272?

Haha in any case, I was asking because I wanted to see why he would replace those hops. Always a learning experience to see why others do what they do!

I love more hops! Always a good choice but I love a lighter hopped beer every now and again.

What did you like about the 1272?

Someone already answered this for me, but I wasn't suggesting you change, just stating what I had planned.

I've never used Warrior so wanting to try it out. And, I've loved everything Citra and Mosaic I've tasted so far and I really want a nice citrusy brew (yours will be too).

I'm curious how yours turns out as I'm trying several pale ales to dial in a go to "House Pale".

^oh I know! I was just asking why you would make those changes. Just wanted the insight :) I've never used warrior either but I hear it's very good.

I'll have to let you know once it's done!

In regards to 1272, I'd definitely recommend it. I've used it in my last two batches (Cascade/Columbus Dryhopped APA and Rakau/Summer/Centennial IPA) that have resulted in two very good beers. Well...at least the FG sample of the second one tasted good. ;)

I've mashed at 155F each time and got 75-76% attenuation, which is just what I was accounting for. I let it ferment at 68F, and it gives off a slight fruity ester, but nothing overwhelming, so you'd figure with your hop bill, that fruitiness would just be accented.

This sounds like a really juicy beer. Definitely report back on i t!

Back