Simcoe/Citra IPA Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppah

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just looking for a bit of advice on brewing an extract IPA. I have 6lbs of light DME on its way along with 1oz Simcoe and 3 oz Citra. My plan was maybe the 1oz Simcoe as bittering near end of boil and the Citra as dry hops (looking more for aroma/flavor as opposed to straight bittering). I didn't get any steeping grains yet but was curious of what to get or if I need them, etc. I'm hoping to lighten the color of my IPA a bit as the last couple have been quite dark. I know this is a symptom of extract brewing in general so I guess my question is two-fold:

1) What type of steeping grains should I use (if any)? What will I lose if I don't steep grains?

2) What other methods that won't effect flavor/aroma could I try to lighten the final product?

Thanks in advance, this site is amazing and an awesome resource for beginners like me 😁

I like a little sweetness in my IPA or APA so to get that and still keep the beer lighter I would use C-10 (Caramel 10 or Crystal 10) as that is the lightest caramel malt that adds sweetness and up to 10% of the weight of the extract would be OK. After steeping that grain, remove it from the liquid, then put in about 1/2 of the extract as the wort starts to boil. Stir like mad when adding it as it is denser than water and will settle to the bottom of the pot and scorch if allowed to. Add the last half of the extract when you turn the heat off at the end of the boil., again stirring well.

For hops to add bitterness they need to be boiled. The typical IPA would want those Simcoe hops boiled for the full hour. Even at that using just one ounce of Simcoe won't get you a very bitter IPA so you might need to add some of the Citra near the end of the boil to boost that.

I know this [darker than expected] is a symptom of extract brewing in general ...
It could be that "darker than expected" is due people expecting 4 SRM IPAs when color estimation models predict 7 or 8.

I'm hoping to lighten the color of my IPA a bit as the last couple have been quite dark.

Clarity of the beer is essential to getting a lighter color. I've found that kettle finings (Irish Moss or Whirlfloc), rapid chilling, and time (18 to 21 days in primary) have a positive impact. I don't have an opinion (at the moment) on "trub vs no trub" in the fermenter.

SRM can not be measured in the fermenter.

Fresh* Pilsen DME
is a good starting point for a low SRM extract-based beer.

Table sugar can be used in place of DME to slightly reduce the color (and reduce FG).

Shorter boils and/or late additions will help as well.

Putting it all together:
  • Techniques through-out the brewing process that produce clear beer
  • Proper measuring of SRM
  • Pilsen DME
  • 10 to 20% table sugar
  • 15 minute boil
Footnote(s):
[*] "Fresh" has different time frames for DME and LME. My experiences are that DME packaged within the last 12 to 18 months is fresh (generally, my DME is newer than that). I haven't worked with DME older than 18 months.

Last edited:
"For hops to add bitterness they need to be boiled. The typical IPA would want those Simcoe hops boiled for the full hour. Even at that using just one ounce of Simcoe won't get you a very bitter IPA so you might need to add some of the Citra near the end of the boil to boost that." This. 1 ounce of Simcoe should be about 50 IBU's, that is American Pale Ale territory. Nothing wrong with it if that is what you are expecting. I plan on making a Citra IPA, no other hops. My wife really likes Citra.

In terms of IBUs I'm fine with a low IBU. I love NEIPAs and as long as I get a nice hope aroma/flavor a low IBU will be fine

Last edited:
Also consider adding half of the DME with around 10 minutes left in the boil. That lightened up my brews when I did extract.
As for steeping grains, that depends on what other character you want.

Back