Silicone Flip-Top Gaskets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagavulin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for silicone flip-top gaskets?

I purchased the rubber ones from MoreBeer and they are terrible -- they impart aroma and also seem to absorb aroma -- gross.

Ive checked McMaster-Carr and unless I'm searching wrong, they don't seem to have them (searched under 0-rings, gaskets and washers).

I'm looking for something 1/8'' thick; ID around 5/16''; OD around 1''

Cheers!

IKEA has some. Wife dragged me there last night. 26 ounce, $4

Edit. Oh wait you just want gaskets. Sorry dude.

You could get a sheet of 0.100" thick silicone, a leather punch set (for the 5/16" center hole) and then another for the 1" OD cut. The OD punch is going to be the harder one to make. You'll also probably want to make some kind of holder for either the ID or OD punching. Maybe just have a 1" piece to use as a template, and then make up something to hold it while you punch out the middle hole...

If you're serious about doing this, I could try making a single item that would do both holes, once my lathe arrives. I'll also check with a friend that can do some 3D printing (rapid prototyping) to see if the stuff is hard enough to hold up to going through .100" thick silicone.

Since you're in NH, we could connect up on this. :D

BTW, I have a set of leather punches that includes the 5/16" and 3/4". I just don't know if the 3/4" will be large enough to work on the bottles. Get a sheet of silicone from McMaster-Carr and we can test with these. I already have an idea about making the 1" hole if we need to (using the 5/16" punch in it for the center hole.

Back