Silicon tubing size for pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasrkin

Reaction score
Hello, quick question:

What size silicon tubing should I use with my pump? this will be used on a single tier brew stand, to transfer wort and basically every other function that it would need to perform for a brew stand, I'm assuming 1/2 inch, but I didn't want to make a purchase without being certain, thank you for your time!

-K

It depends on the hose barb sizes you have. if you have 1/2" barbs, then use 1/2" hose.

only other thing I understand you have to watch with silicon tubing is that you dont have any flow restriction between the pump and the hose. It can blow up like a balloon and pop.

It depends on the hose barb sizes you have. if you have 1/2" barbs, then use 1/2" hose.

only other thing I understand you have to watch with silicon tubing is that you dont have any flow restriction between the pump and the hose. It can blow up like a balloon and pop.

I would even recommend thicker walled 1/2" ID, 7/8" OD. It kinks less and holds heat better. It's what I use myself.

As Minbari mentioned, never apply pressure to the hose, either by pumping into it with a valve shut somewhere down the line or worse, with standard house (faucet) pressure. Silicone can and will blow up like a balloon.

Kal

So, I guess I'm the only one who likes the snugger fit of 3/8" ID (1/8" wall) silicone tubing on their 1/2" fittings.

Back