Signing On from Central America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuraBirra

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am a professionally trained chef from Canada but living in Central America, where I own and cook at a popular restaurant in a high traffic tourist town on the Pacific Ocean. Food + drink, especially beer, have been a huge passion of mine for most of my life. While the passion for food lead me to a career in the culinary world, my passion for drink never did bring me to make my own beer. I have never brewed before - but that will be changing very soon!

My restaurant is the only one in the area serving craft beers. We have 11 taps and another 20 different bottles options. There is a great local craft beer scene in my country but most of the breweries are located far away from me, in the big city. While the scene is booming here, it is relatively new and there is still a lot of room for growth, unlike what might I imagine to be the case back in Canada or the USA (correct me if I am wrong?).

Anyways, this has presented me with the unique opportunity to open the first microbrewery in my town, which will be located inside of my restaurant. I will be the brewer. I have all of my permits and legal paperwork ready to go. I have imported a 20 Gallon gas Blichmann BrewEasy system, along with everything else you could dream of wanting/needing to brew great beers on a small scale. Everything has arrived here and it set up, ready to go!

I have been reading and YouTubing for many months now. As well as talking to all of the brewmasters at the breweries who's beers I sell A LOT of in my restaurant. Many of the most important aspects, from what I have come to understand, such as cleanliness and consistency in control of recipes, also apply to my own professional of cooking. SO I feel fairly confident. But while I have soaked up a great amount of information, of course, the learning process never ends and I am bound to have questions and concerns. That is why I am here, introducing myself to you all :mug:

I have an advantage in knowing that this new brewery business of mine will be a success - it compliments my existing business and with my restaurant alone, I have a large sales outlet. Safe to say, my demand will outweigh my supply from the very beginning. I do plan to sell to other restaurants and stores in the next 6 months to a year (as I am licensed to do) so my equipment and production will be growing accordingly.

Having said all of that, not to get ahead of myself, I need to make my first beer! I will be starting with an IPA this upcoming Saturday. I have a few recipes in mind but would love to hear any recommendations!

Look out for me in other sections of the forum and in other threads. I intend to be active on here, updating often on my progress. Thanks for welcoming me to HomeBrewTalk and I look forward to sharing my experiences on here with all of you. All questions, tips, tricks and information will be warmly welcomed.

Oralé wey, mucho gusto. Bienvenido a HBT y ten cuidado a los chinganas de cabras, hay mucho en este sitio web. Por ejemplo @drainbamage y @hunter_la5 estan enamorado con las cabras, pero los otras personas estaban muy bien

There are a lot of recipes for IPA's, etc in the " recipes" section in the red strip at the top of the page. I have a good one that's a sort of average of commercial IPA's, with some of the resiny qualities of Pliny here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=527662
We also have several chefs on here that may be able to help you more specifically in your line of work. Also some who've gone pro & what that entails. You should find what you seek with the helpful folks on here. :mug:

Welcome to the group, from CO :mug:

Best of the luck with this new endeavor. Lots of great recipes in the database.

One thought, you might want to get a few 30 gallon fermenters. You can brew 15G, aerate and pitch, brew another 15G the next am and add to the fermenting beer. 30G at a time can go fast in a restaurant!

Back