Significant suspended material in wort - see pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombieflo

Reaction score
Hello-
I have brewed about 30 extract batches. I brewed a pale ale yesterday as per usual but the wort looked totally different. The only difference from my standard operating procedure was I used Irish Moss for the first time.

I noticed the suspended material during the boil - but was not as significant as with the cooled wort. I have also seen the clumpy material during other boils but it always dropped and was not apparent in the cooled wort. I am not sure what I am looking at - does anyone else know what is going on?

12 hours after being racked to carboy - some of the material has dropped but much is still suspended. Some is settling on the edges of the carboy and not dropping. Fermentation has not begun yet either which is strange because I typically have very little lag time.

Any insight is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance for your help.

IMAG0829.jpg

How much Irish moss did you use? The pic makes me think that you may have overdone it.

RDWHB!!! (Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew)

that is a perfectly normal process of brewing, it will fall to the bottom and even compress..

That is a mix of grain, sugar and hop fragments...
throw a T-shirt over it and check it in a week

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking RDWHB but was baffled at what I was seeing. Used 1 tsp of IM. Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts

Back