Sight glass/thermometer idea. Any negatives about this idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDrinker

Reaction score
So im looking at adding a sight glass and thermometer to my keggle. My valve coupler was tig welded on nice, im not a fan of weldless. Can anyone think of a reason why i shouldnt take a stainless "cross" adapter and put a valve, thermometer and sight glass all off one coupler point? It will save the hassle of step bit drilling and wont have a chance of leaking like weldless options. Pictures show my idea. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408647852.729123.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408647866.864516.jpg

If you are direct firing the kettle the thermometer will likely need a heat shield since it will sit at the same level as the valve.

I have a sight glass and a ball valve on a Tee. The only issue is that I need to cap the sight glass or the sight glass will break the vacuum as I pump/gravity drain the kettle. Not a big deal, the cap that came on the ends of the copper coil I used to make my counterflow fits right over the end of the sight glass and is tight enough for this application.

I have a sight glass and a ball valve on a Tee. The only issue is that I need to cap the sight glass or the sight glass will break the vacuum as I pump/gravity drain the kettle. Not a big deal, the cap that came on the ends of the copper coil I used to make my counterflow fits right over the end of the sight glass and is tight enough for this application.

I actually thought of that as a factor, thanks for confirming it and clearing that up.

Your thermometer would need to protrude out into the body of the kettle to get an accurate reading, no? I wonder about it then blocking flow into the valve (which is already going around a right angle), especially if there's a lot of hops debris in the boil.

Your thermometer would need to protrude out into the body of the kettle to get an accurate reading, no? I wonder about it then blocking flow into the valve (which is already going around a right angle), especially if there's a lot of hops debris in the boil.

The hop debris should be minimal as ill be recirculating to create a debris cone before syphoning. And the thermometer will be a 6" probe which i should reach the inside of the keg when put on the outer point of the 4 point fitting. I could see it might get clogged tho with the turn for the valve

I'd go weldless and not be so scared of things leaking. I have 3 holes per keggle and all weldless and not one leak in 50 gallons and I assume the previous owner who built them also. Your idea, while it may work fine seems clumsy to me.

This is the boil kettle?

I've never taken a temp reading of my boil. Only my HLT and Mash.

Do you really need a thermometer? Are you steeping grains?

I really don't like combining the draining function and a sight glass. The sight glass won't read right while draining and the siphon will break if you don't cap the glass. Basically it's conflicting requirements. Join the thermometer and sightglass into one port and the drain in another.

I really don't like combining the draining function and a sight glass. The sight glass won't read right while draining and the siphon will break if you don't cap the glass. Basically it's conflicting requirements. Join the thermometer and sightglass into one port and the drain in another.

Thats more them likely what im going to do, just wanted to see what people had to say about this idea.

Back