Sight glass level concave measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbtenor

Reaction score
Yesterday as I calibrated my sight-glass, I filled 2 quarts at a time (largest measuring vessel I had) and at the end, I realized that my false bottom and dip tube weren’t in. I know that I could just drop them in and measure the difference and mark accordingly, but I’ll be calibrating another vessel too and had a question.

When I filled the pot, the sight-glass line was perfectly level. As soon as I drained any volume, I ended up with a concave line which is what I assume I’ll be working with most of the time in my HLT. I know it’s pretty anal and specific, but the difference from the top of the line and the bottom of the bulge is almost 1/16”, so if I’m marking permanently, I’d rather have the marks in the right place. I know as long as I’m consistent with the marking, I should be fine, but I was curious about where the actual liquid level is in the sight-glass: top line, bottom of bulge, somewhere in the middle?

Yes, mostly just a science question, but I’d rather do it right the first (or second) time and stick with it. Thanks for any help!

Yesterday as I calibrated my sight-glass, I filled 2 quarts at a time (largest measuring vessel I had) and at the end, I realized that my false bottom and dip tube weren’t in. I know that I could just drop them in and measure the difference and mark accordingly, but I’ll be calibrating another vessel too and had a question.

When I filled the pot, the sight-glass line was perfectly level. As soon as I drained any volume, I ended up with a concave line which is what I assume I’ll be working with most of the time in my HLT. I know it’s pretty anal and specific, but the difference from the top of the line and the bottom of the bulge is almost 1/16”, so if I’m marking permanently, I’d rather have the marks in the right place. I know as long as I’m consistent with the marking, I should be fine, but I was curious about where the actual liquid level is in the sight-glass: top line, bottom of bulge, somewhere in the middle?

Yes, mostly just a science question, but I’d rather do it right the first (or second) time and stick with it. Thanks for any help!

Here is your answer
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistrylabexperiments/qt/meniscus.htm

test:D
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry-test-questions/tp/Measurement-Test-Questions.htm?nl=1

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yeah, as linked to above, that's the meniscus. You always want to read your levels from the top or bottom of the arc of the meniscus.

Thank you ClaudiusB! It's been a few years since chemistry. I totally forgot the term "meniscus" or a google search may have proved easier! Cheers!

Back