Sight Glass between BK and Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
Does anyone use a sight Glass between their boil kettle and the fermenter (involving a pump) so they can see the wort transferring? I saw that BrewHardware has one for $33 and was curious about the benefits, or is it purely an aesthetic/conversation piece/cool gadget? I'm working on putting together my plate chiller setup and thought it would be cool to have it but don't want it if it doesn't serve a decent purpose.

I don't know what useful information it could give you. Even with a closed fermenter. If the level in the kettle is falling, and your feet aren't getting hot, wet, and sticky, then almost certainly the wort is flowing correctly.

The only thing I thought it could do is indicate when the wort going into the plate chiller becomes riddled with sediment, so you'd then know when to stop the pump. But aside from that, I can't think of another use.

You'll not get me to criticize anything Bobby sells. It must be useful to someone, for some purpose. I'll only say that I don't believe it would add value to my particular setup. Since I didn't know it wasn't commonly done, I built a octagonal copper manifold, covered with SS braid, for my boil kettle. Nothing big enough to clog my CFC gets through.

Back