Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 3 kinds of the new zealand last Thursday at the brewery:
Normal Draft
Cask Conditioned
24oz Bottle

My favorite was the cask condition, but I like them all. Can't wait for the Estate Harvest as that will be using SN's own hops :rockin:.

I had 3 kinds of the new zealand last Thursday at the brewery:
Normal Draft
Cask Conditioned
24oz Bottle

My favorite was the cask condition, but I like them all. Can't wait for the Estate Harvest as that will be using SN's own hops :rockin:.

Nice. Going to start to make some calls in the am to see if I can track some down.

The 24oz. should be in stores very soon, if not already in SoCal. It's been in stores here since the launch 1-2 weeks ago, and their distribution in CA is pretty fast. Just had another of these last night during my second all grain brew...mmmmm tasty! Hate to say it, but I think I like the New Zealand Harvest better.

The 24oz. should be in stores very soon, if not already in SoCal. It's been in stores here since the launch 1-2 weeks ago, and their distribution in CA is pretty fast. Just had another of these last night during my second all grain brew...mmmmm tasty! Hate to say it, but I think I like the New Zealand Harvest better.

Put in a call to my local store...waiting to hear from the guy. The chains (Bevmo being one of them) don't have a clue.

Sweet! Just went to Costco and they are selling 12-packs of the 24oz bottle :ban:. For around $30 a pop, I'll soon replace all of my bottles. My only question is, how much headspace do you need when filling these bombers?

Sweet! Just went to Costco and they are selling 12-packs of the 24oz bottle :ban:. For around $30 a pop, I'll soon replace all of my bottles. My only question is, how much headspace do you need when filling these bombers?

I use them all the time...one of my favorite bottles. I tend to leave about 3/4of an inch to 1 inch in them.

Keep and eye out for the estate harvest that they do as well (hops grown on site in chico).

the harvest ale brewed with estate grown hops has been called "20th Street" for the past couple of years.

We usually get a handful of kegs at O'Briens in San Diego during the wet hop season and for their wet hop festival.

I've never seen it bottled though

Well, it has made it to Georgia. I bought a bottle today at the Kroger. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the heads up.

if you're using a bottle filler, just let it fill to the top, then pull the filler out. same as reg bottles. i love these 24oz bottles, use them all the time.

can't wait to try this beer! hope i can find some.

Well, it has made it to Georgia. I bought a bottle today at the Kroger. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the heads up.

It frustrates me that distribution is so crappy in LA. You'd think that a big city like this that is a big beer market would have its' act together but it doesn't. Not a single retailer in my area carries this beer as of yet and we are a hell of a lot closer than Georgia.

Some of the best beers brewed in this state are easier to get out of state than they are a days drive from the brewery. I blame consolidation of distributors more than anything else.

/end rant

It frustrates me that distribution is so crappy in LA. You'd think that a big city like this that is a big beer market would have its' act together but it doesn't. Not a single retailer in my area carries this beer as of yet and we are a hell of a lot closer than Georgia.

Some of the best beers brewed in this state are easier to get out of state than they are a days drive from the brewery. I blame consolidation of distributors more than anything else.

/end rant

Well if you find it anywhere nearby, let me know.

I was honestly shocked to find it here so fast. Tried it tonight, very interesting. It has a very complex hop flavor and a rather assertive bitterness that lingers in a good way. Seems much more bitter than 60IBUs.

SWMBO wouldn't try it after taking a whiff and my burps taste good, so that is an A+ in the hoppy beer category.

i picked up a 12 pack of the 24's at the whole foods in old town alexandria va this weekend. this is pretty damn good stuff. and of course, i'm psyched to have 12 new bombers to bottle in! :mug:

I had some this past weekend and it is great. I am guessing the hops are Pacific Gem, but regardless they work well. Another great one from a great brewery...

well, I just finished a 24oz split w/ my GF and I can't say that I was all that into this one...especially in comparison to the previous edition harvest ale and other fresh hop ales I have sampled. The aroma was pleasant with hints of the fresh floral hop scents but the flavor was a bit muddied/undefined, too heavy in the palate and too sweet in the finish.

I didn't like it either - the bitterness was harsh, and the flavor much less appealing than their Cascade-hopped beers.

I had a sample of this at a local brewfest and thought it was good. I bought a bottle that I will be opening latter this week, have to see if my initial opinion changes but I really liked it. I actualy found it smoother than the previous Harvest beer I have had from SN. Of course a cross country trip can do wonders to ruin a beer.

Mike

I liked it, it was delicious. The aroma was very underwhelming, but the palate was very complex. The crudest and most fun part was the after drinking belches, which tasted like hops :)

I liked it, it was delicious. The aroma was very underwhelming, but the palate was very complex. The crudest and most fun part was the after drinking belches, which tasted like hops :)

Did you find in it the Chicago area? If so, where?

Just stumbled upon it at Binny's in Schaumburg, IL. Picked up 3 bottles. They have a bunch. Will drink 'em this weekend.

Also picked up a Two Bros. "Oh Brother" Tripel (the reason I stopped in) and a Rogue / Bison Rye (Reunion '08 brew).

The crudest and most fun part was the after drinking belches, which tasted like hops :)

Finally found some in Pennsylvania, and enjoyed one last night. So very delicious, and +1 on the hop belches. I'll probably pick up some more if $$ permits. 50% because I enjoyed the beer 50% because I want to reuse those bottles.

Just found some, finally. I had to email the SN rep for my area and get him to put the hurt on a local retailer. Man distro here sucks sometimes. Looking forward to a taste this weekend.

Had this on tap last night at the Father's Office here in Santa Monica.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, the taste was much different than the typical west coast IPAs. Had a nice malty, spiciness to it, almost like an ESB.

Good stuff.

Finally found some in Pennsylvania, and enjoyed one last night. So very delicious, and +1 on the hop belches. I'll probably pick up some more if $$ permits. 50% because I enjoyed the beer 50% because I want to reuse those bottles.

Where'd you get it in bottles? I haven't been able to find it anywhere but at Mad Mex on draft.

Back