Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerg

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on this beer?

I love German wheat beers, and there are a couple of American breweries that I think really create great hefeweizens - e.g. Drake's in California and Live Oak in Texas.

Kellerweis, on the other hand... it's not an unpleasant beer, but something is just off. Hefeweizens are usually delicate and nuanced, but there's something almost abrasive about this one, but I can't pin down exactly what it is. I'm a fan of Sierra Nevada in general, so it was a bit disappointing, but I'm used to American brewers have trouble with this style.

I havent had it in a few years, but I think the choice of hops are a little off - from what I remember. Maybe it was too bitter or something. I'll have to find a pack and try again.

my recollection is that it’s nothing like a hefe. Should drink like a lager with wheat. Crisp and clean.

Glad someone finally weighed in here. I stand by my opinion of Kellerweis (which claims to be a Bavarian-style hefe and falls way short of that flavor-wise) but I have to say I had an Old Chico the other day (Sierra Nevada's take on kristallweizen) and it was very pleasant. Not a style I often drink but it's an easy drinker.

I havent had it in a few years, but I think the choice of hops are a little off - from what I remember. Maybe it was too bitter or something. I'll have to find a pack and try again.

It's true, the hops aren't quite right (apparently they're strisselspalt) and it lacks something in the mouthfeel and esters. Just doesn't drink like a hefe.

Glad someone finally weighed in here. I stand by my opinion of Kellerweis (which claims to be a Bavarian-style hefe and falls way short of that flavor-wise) but I have to say I had an Old Chico the other day (Sierra Nevada's take on kristallweizen) and it was very pleasant. Not a style I often drink but it's an easy drinker.
Old Chico is pretty tasty, I always enjoy having that one being a lighter beer to change it up.

Back