Side by Side Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laphroaig

I Love Scotch. Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch.
Reaction score
New guy here, but a long time lurker I suppose. I'd say 60% of my googling of homebrew related items brings me here. So I decided this an appropriate place to post my Kegerator Build!

Recently my Keezer bit the dust, and with warming beer and mold growing exponentially.. I decided it was time to hit the Facebook marketplace/craigslist for the next project. I haggled and brought home this side by side. I don't plan to do a chamber for fermenting, so this is a pretty easy build.
IMG_0998.JPG IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1010.JPG
I only had to shave a portion of the drawer slides to get the kegs to fit, and I kept the bottom drawer for reasons. I didn't really trust the plastic shelf alone for holding up 20 gallons of beer so I modified a commercial baking sheet as some reinforcement. Four kegs fit, just barely, but I knew that before buying it. My two pin locks will have to serve another purpose!

My old keezer was a hot mess of Homebrew/Brewery stickers and chipped paint. I wanted this one to be a little more classic. For reasons of lack of space, and just generally not having to open my fridge all the time, the gas and regulation are all on the side of the fridge. I also switched from 1/4" Flare to John Guest Fittings, both on gas and beer side. I made everything color coded with colored zip ties. I think it looks a little better and is easier to label, as well as identify than the traditional tape/numbering. I labeled everything from connectors to kegs. This has helped a ton with organization. At this point I was also looking at drip trays, and I found one for cheap on an amazon warehouse deal that had a glass rinser in it. Why not. A coworker of mine is much more skilled at wood work than I, and helped me with both the drip tray frame as well as the bulkhead for the air lines into the fridge.
IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1159.JPG
I added a large coil of poly tubing to the back of the kegs that is fed off the pinlock keg of water on the outside of the fridge. This keeps the water that sprays the glass cool, so it has a chilling and rinsing effect on the glass. Bonus, I also fed the fridge from the keg, so the ice maker and water dispenser work. Feeding from the keg is only temporary, i'm planning to plumb it in (soonish). Also, it currently drains to a bucket. Not an elegant solution.. but remember that drawer I kept from the beginning? it very likely will drain there in the near future. Or if anyone has any better ideas!
IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1158.JPG
Cheers! Thanks for looking. I'm quite happy with the results. Just a little touch up left.

3 are 10' and 1 is 20'.
I did...Sort of. I bought ~5/32" (4mm) beer line to help with restriction to keep my lines shorter. That being said, friction is scaled by the square of the velocity of the fluid running through it, So I am of the thought that too long of line doesn't hurt as bad as too short of line. Besides it pouring a bit slow, which doesn't bother me. So i am definitely a little over restricted. Being as I have regulation on every line though, this keeps it simple for me in the fact that I can serve a Gose or Saison at 17psi next to an IPA at 8-9psi and not really have to worry about which of my lines are long enough to restrict it. The 20' line is for if I ever do a stout on nitro, but every other beer pours just the same out of there. Maybe 3-5 seconds slower for a pint.

fwiw, there's no need for overly restricting the flow leading to a stout faucet. Indeed, it's pretty much the opposite of what we're going for in that one case. You want the flow from the ~30-35 psi you're using to push stout to still be pretty high when it hits the restrictor plate...

Cheers!

Good to know! I've not done a beer on nitro yet, but that does make sense. I wasn't thinking about the restrictor plate! I'll chop that line down to 10' one of these days.

Love the build! Personally, I'd be more comfortable draining into the bucket than having skeezy water accumulating inside and humidifying my kegerator...

Back