Side-by-Side Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaisetti

Reaction score
We are getting a new refrigerator and will be keeping the old side-by-side refrigerator in the garage. We want to keep the freezer side in tact to store food and I want to use the refrigerator side as a fermentation chamber, mostly for ales but maybe to lager as well. Is that possible? All the threads I've seen show side-by-side kegerator/fermenter or cut the middle wall out, which I don't want to do, but I haven't seen any threads that discuss keeping the freezer in tact. Thanks for any help.

I dont think its possible unless you get into teh circuitry of the freezer and fridge and separate the circuits. Any temp controller will cut power to the whole device (single power cord) when its temp reading drop below the set temp

You might have luck with a fermwrap being driven by a thermowell. Since the fridge would be constantly on, you can't really control the temp without effecting the freezer. However, it could possibly still work for a controlled fermentation. I'd probably keep at the warmest setting, and that would be a constant downward force (temp wise). The fermwrap would kick on and off as needed with upward force to maintain the fermentation temp above the ambient fridge temp.

Back