Shredded Wheat (cereal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I have brewed about 10 batches of beer in the past and was looking for new ideas from ingrediants found at home,
Thanks again,
Jim

Well, if you are adventurous, I have made a nice wheat beer a few times by adding spagetti to the mash. Boil it for around an hour first so it is nice and gelatinized.

Read the label...spagetti is usually 100% duram wheat...sometimes w/ an iron supplement.

related thread here.....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anybody-ever-used-pasta-adjunct-96661/

Well, if you are adventurous, I have made a nice wheat beer a few times by adding spagetti to the mash. Boil it for around an hour first so it is nice and gelatinized.

Read the label...spagetti is usually 100% duram wheat...sometimes w/ an iron supplement.

related thread here.....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anybody-ever-used-pasta-adjunct-96661/

So you really noticed the flavor? I am thinking most of it is so compresses into the noodle not much would be exposed to be converted or have much impact. Did you break it down? Maybe break it up into small pieces or chop it up after cooking?

I think one day I may try this. :D

The spagetti wheat has a bit more tang...probably similiar to raw wheat rather than malted wheat.

I just overcook the heck out of it prior to mashing. I feel the raw wheat can have a sharpness while young, but ages nicely after a few weeks.

60 % two row
40 % spagetti
mash in the low 150's

light bittering at 60 min

orange peel and coriander to taste...bout an once each??

This is fabulous. I decided to try something stupid with Golden Grahams cereal. And in case anyone is interested,

7.5 lbs malt + 2 lbs Golden Grahams = sparge stuck like a glue

Some creative wort handling and a boil later it's fermenting like mad. I checked the box and it also contains BHT. So in answer to the question, no, BHT doesn't stop fermentation (although I have noticed considerably less kreusen from the Wyeast 1007 that normally requires a turbo blowoff tube at this temperature).

If I mess with processed food like this again I will absolutely stuff the mash tun with rice hulls.

Cheers

Back