Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think of my set up more like a crock pot, not a microwave. I know I'll be leaving my steaks in there for quite a while. It's more than just heat soaking the meat. It's about letting the fats render over time too!

Just curious... The steaks are 1" thick... Does that make a difference in your estimated cook time?

Thickness can make a big difference in *minimum* cook time. You need to have enough time for the center of the meat to come up to the water bath temperature, which is obviously dependent on thickness of the meat.

This is important for items that are already tender, like filet mignon, or chicken, or pork loin, etc. Getting the center up to temp (and leaving it long enough to pasteurize) is important, and it's not necessary to leave it one minute longer.

However, for longer cooks where you're trying to use temp+time to tenderize, the thickness doesn't matter as much. If you're going to be cooking something 8 hours in the sous vide, a 1" steak vs. a 2" steak won't really matter. Both will get up to temp LONG before you pull them out.

I think of my set up more like a crock pot, not a microwave. I know I'll be leaving my steaks in there for quite a while. It's more than just heat soaking the meat. It's about letting the fats render over time too!

Gotcha... Different mindset.

Thickness can make a big difference in *minimum* cook time. You need to have enough time for the center of the meat to come up to the water bath temperature, which is obviously dependent on thickness of the meat.

This is important for items that are already tender, like filet mignon, or chicken, or pork loin, etc. Getting the center up to temp (and leaving it long enough to pasteurize) is important, and it's not necessary to leave it one minute longer.

However, for longer cooks where you're trying to use temp+time to tenderize, the thickness doesn't matter as much. If you're going to be cooking something 8 hours in the sous vide, a 1" steak vs. a 2" steak won't really matter. Both will get up to temp LONG before you pull them out.

Roger. Great explanation.

The biggest issue about steak thickness and timing seems to be not how long it takes to get to temp, but how long you're planning to hold the meat at temp past that point. I had an insightful facebook conversation with Jason Logsdon, the author of Modernist Cuisine at Home, and I think he's also the owner of Modernist Pantry. I was trying to plot out a dinner menu where the beef would be in the bath for about 12 hours. I was looking at various cuts including a 1 1/2 inch Porterhouse, but his recommendation was to go with a tough cut of meat, like an English Roast and slice thin after browning. I went with that and the meat was like butter, amazing.

I think he actually said that the porterhouse would after 12 hours at 130 have the mouthfeel of sawdust, since the connective tissue would more than likely all break down by the end.

The nice thing about sous-vide is that you can hold at temp for a long time, but you will get tissue breakdown, just like any low and slow cooking methods, which is great for tough cuts after a long bath, but not so good for smaller cuts if it is too long.

I think he actually said that the porterhouse would after 12 hours at 130 have the mouthfeel of sawdust, since the connective tissue would more than likely all break down by the end.

A friend of mine did an experiment with filet at 24 hours, just to see what it would do. He said at that point it could be served with a spoon. And that wasn't a good thing!

Well, 10 hours might be a but much for ribeye. Although it was tender, is was definitely dry. I would also say that at 131, it was medium well.

What grade was the cut?

It was prime from Costco.

Yeah, an all-day soak in the cooker followed by a sear should not have produced a dry steak. Quite the opposite actually...

I will have to try again. The exterior of the steak seemed oxidized (brownish), while the interior was still pinkish/medium well when I took it out of the sous vide.

Just saw this on the Jet City Gastroponics FB page, the Sansaire Sous-Vide is now at Sur La Table and it's under 200 bucks.

094d56540050cb5b4001899a151fa114_large.jpg

That's pretty cool. Sure beats firing up my sanke-sized sous vide. Grrr.

I'm still on the fence about buying them... I'm really proud of my DIY setup, and people are really impressed when I pull something out of my bubbling coffee urn, brown it up in a pan and present a beautiful piece of meat.

For me the biggest part of all this homebrewing/cooking passion of mine is that I get to make and experiment with re-purposing things.

I'm still on the fence about buying them... I'm really proud of my DIY setup, and people are really impressed when I pull something out of my bubbling coffee urn, brown it up in a pan and present a beautiful piece of meat.

For me the biggest part of all this homebrewing/cooking passion of mine is that I get to make and experiment with re-purposing things.

I get that. But one of my goals with sous vide was to have the ability to seal something in the morning, tell my wife what temp to set and what time to start it, so that it'll be ready when I get home from work.

That's not going to happen if she has to mess with a complicated homemade setup... So I bought the Anova.

Is set the temp to just under the temp you like a done steak. For myself I wouldn't go over 120F. With that cut you only need to bring it up to temp not break down tough connective tissue. So maybe an hour, just guessing though cause I've never cooked with sous vide for "just til done". I usually take advantage of the fact that the food can never get hotter than the water and let it sit for hours. Then be sure to sear it over scorching heat. With all that said, I'd just toss those steaks on the grill sans sous vide.

Once again I have to say thanks to the folks on the site for another great idea. I saw this thread a couple months ago and thought oh wow that's pretty cool. Then we went to a pretty fancy restaurant in Tampa and I got sous vide venison which was awesome. I then thought I gotta build one so I ordered a single stage Fahrenheit controller and built the controller. Tonight was the first time using it, medium porterhouse (on sale at the store) with salt pepper garlic powder and rosemary and Gorgonzola, roasted garlic red potato mash, and roasted sweet onion brussel sprout with bacon laudons. Made a red wine reduction sauce out of the juice in the bag and the pan drippings from the sear. It was REALLY GOOD! Can't wait to try this with some fresh grouper.

1681.jpg

1682.jpg

1683.jpg

Ok... I got some Bone-in Lamb loin for Easter Sunday. I want to SousVide cook them. Any suggestions? These look like little T-Bone steaks. I also got some high quality mint spread to serve with it. Recomendations on sides? What temp to cook at? I usually do my steaks at 135°F.

Ok... I got some Bone-in Lamb loin for Easter Sunday. I want to SousVide cook them. Any suggestions? These look like little T-Bone steaks. I also got some high quality mint spread to serve with it. Recomendations on sides? What temp to cook at? I usually do my steaks at 135°F.

According to Logsdon in Modernist Cooking Made Easy, he says for medium rare 131 (55c) 2-4 hours.

As to sides, have you ever done Fondant Potatoes.... You can do it in a baking pan for larger amounts.

Fondant Potatoes

I also like to get some baby spinach and make a mound on the serving platter, dress it with a little lemon juice, maybe some thin slices or parm/reg and then the second you brown off the chops after pulling them out of the bath, plate the chops right on the spinach. The heat will wilt some of the spinach and the rest will stay normal, o you get a couple different spinach textures going. And lightly spoon over any pan drippings or a warm vinegrette.

Or make a compound butter and lay a few slabs on top to melt down over everything. Like this.

1378051_10151696576699067_944408226_n.jpg

Yep... It all was EXCELLENT!!!!
I "over-browned" a few of the potatoes but other than that, it was awesome! Thanks Revvy for the suggestions! I made a lemon dressing for the spinach and I just wish all of the spinach was wilted. Overall though, It all was a huge hit!
Seared with grape seed oil. I like this method better than torching...

2014-04-20 13.50.02.jpg

2014-04-20 13.55.01.jpg

2014-04-20 13.58.38.jpg

Looks amazing. Yeah you could have done a pure wilt/sautee, with maybe a little garlic or whatever, I do that about 50 percent of the time. I sometimes like the texture differences between the non wilted and wilted.

:rockin:

What did your family think of the fondant potatoes?

Seeing as how I served the kids plates first and those potatoes were completely gone from their plates before the adults finished serving our plates... I'd say they were a hit!

I need to bump the temp down a bit next time I do them though. They weren't burned, but not far from it. Still tasted great.

Yeah, I've crisped a few myself. I've also tried different potatoes and totally ruined them. But they are really tasting and unique. Glad everyone liked them. I guess they're more common in the UK than in the states. I first saw them on a bbc cooking show and they just sounded awesome.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398524668.790620.jpg

This is the sous vide machine I built from a temperature controller from my LBS

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398524761.597002.jpg

And this is the one I use at work

Message me for instructions if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's the element from a cheapo kettle. I just cut a hole in my tank and popped it through. I even managed to save the silicone gasket from the kettle.

Anyone have any experience/reviews of the poly science professional sous vide?

plug warning. my friend and his buddy developed and assembled this new commercially available dutch-made water bath.
https://www.ribmeister.com/
they got real nerdy with the pid controller algorithm and the placement of the heating elements and all that, with lots of modeling and experimental validation, and on top of that the aesthetics are frankly awesome. their first production run is just done so they are taking orders. i'll get mine tomorrow and report back!!

Anyone have any experience/reviews of the poly science professional sous vide?

I have used the Polyscience Professional (classic now I see) for over 5 years at 3 different restaurants. It is a great tool, but for home use I would say way overkill. I use one weekly at work to make 24 hour pork short ribs that are fall off the bone tender and I get compliments on them every day. For home I have used anything from a big pan of water in my oven to a PID controlled electric skillet and one of these days a keggle HERMS... I love sous vide, especially in the restaurants... as Ron Popeil would say... "Set it and forget it!" not really but kinda....

Oh yea, and transgluaminase is some really cool stuff! Not trying to hijack the thread, you can do some really cool stuff like Revvy did with the chiducken wrapped in bacon. One of my favorite things was to take the spinalis muscle off of a ribeye roll (think of that extra tender marbled part wrapped around the eye of the ribeye) and dust it with Activa RM and roll it up, then cut "filets" out of it. Fantastic!

Chef Jay

Back