Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovin' my SSBrewtech fermenter and FTSs system
L to R: traditional in the stainless steel, apricot, strawberry, apricot/peach in the back.
traditional1.jpg

i love to see all the amazing job that the people do for the mead, i will post mine in one more month right now is just clearing in a galon jug.

regard

Buckwheat honey mead made in February 2014. There are five bottles but there would have been six if I hadn't broken it during the corking process, spilling mead, broken glass and blood over the kitchen floor and the kitchen surface. Not a good day.

image.jpg

Wow having a break like that is awful. I feel fortunate that I have a deep farmhouse sink that I can put a towel down on the bottom to cap and cork. Mishaps could still happen, but at least the mess is contained.

Wow having a break like that is awful. I feel fortunate that I have a deep farmhouse sink that I can put a towel down on the bottom to cap and cork. Mishaps could still happen, but at least the mess is contained.
In hindsight, I should have done it in the sink lol that's where I rack after all. I think i liked the open space of the kitchen surface or something. I will use the sink for corking in the future, though.

Buckwheat honey mead made in February 2014. There are five bottles but there would have been six if I hadn't broken it during the corking process, spilling mead, broken glass and blood over the kitchen floor and the kitchen surface. Not a good day.

Wait what? Bottles can break during the corking process? Did the bottle slip or did the cork apply too much pressure inside the bottle? I have always corked on the kitchen floor. I'm not in the mood nor will I ever be in the mood to have a bottle of my precious Mead on me the floor and on the broken pieces of glass that had one simple job.

Wait what? Bottles can break during the corking process? Did the bottle slip or did the cork apply too much pressure inside the bottle? I have always corked on the kitchen floor. I'm not in the mood nor will I ever be in the mood to have a bottle of my precious Mead on me the floor and on the broken pieces of glass that had one simple job.

Just noticed the other week that corks come in different sizes at my local brew store. Also a lot of bottles have threads on them which make for a weaker neck. It's a right of passage when a bottle breaks during corking. It happens and the best we can do is minimize the chance of it occurring.

Unfortunately, yes they can.

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I think it might have been the pressure from the corker because it looks like it shattered between the base and the neck. The bottom of the bottle was still sitting on the kitchen surface with mead in it while the neck and shoulders of the bottle were on the floor.

Lovin' my SSBrewtech fermenter and FTSs system
L to R: traditional in the stainless steel, apricot, strawberry, apricot/peach in the back.
traditional1.jpg

Bought the ss conical half barrel for mead making and I am considering the cooling system. Wondering how large a volume/temperature of the cooler like yours is needed to sustain the temperater 5-10 degrees C below room temp. How often do you add ice (assume this is how it works) and do you use glycol (PG). Hope I am not digging into any "trade secrets"😊

The current gang complete with aptly novel names... from screen left to right:

(1) No. 1 Nectar; my first short gallon mead after stabilising it, then cold crashing it in the freezer, and finally adding positive and negative finings. (Currently bottled in some recycled Leffe and Grolsch bottles, one of which I've added cinnamon and vanilla extract).

(2) Mr. Bungle (named because my housemates and I had a fantastically tortuous time trying to rescue my closed bung from the demijohn when shaking the must); my second gallon mead chocked full of about 4lbs (~1,900g) of honey, and

(3) Wizard's Socks; my ghettotastic half gallon brew of fly agaric and lemon infused mead (named because of the day or so I left the ingredients to stew in muslin stockings before adding the honey and preparing the must).

P1030287.jpg

Fly agaric? Holy crap dude. I need to hear the tasting notes on that one!

In the fermentation chamber around 62'F, each fermenting with Lalvin D47, a blueberry hibiscus melomel (secondary) and a base mead (primary):
m6Hmuha.jpg

JOAM:
fUma6sN.jpg

Spiced cyser (tertiary):
t0iI2kw.jpg

Two meads I started late in January, took ages to ferment with Nottingham ale yeast, only got racked off the lees a few days ago in September.

Tastes alright, still pretty hot, but I do think the lees were starting to go a little funky / off and that the mead might have taken on some of that smell and flavour.

I intend to age these for quite a while.

image.jpg

Bought the ss conical half barrel for mead making and I am considering the cooling system. Wondering how large a volume/temperature of the cooler like yours is needed to sustain the temperater 5-10 degrees C below room temp. How often do you add ice (assume this is how it works) and do you use glycol (PG). Hope I am not digging into any "trade secrets"��

The cooler is 48qt, and I change ice (1 gallon and half gallon containers) once a day. I can sustain the water temp for 26+ hours at from about 37º to about 46º. There are two pumps running, one is chilling a 5 gallon carboy to 55º and runs constantly, the other is set up to maintain a 68º temp on the fermenter. No I don't use glycol.

Midget and I just bottled our JAOM. Now to let it bottle age for a couple months.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442542888.480110.jpg

As this is the first mead we started together and she did the work, one of the bottles will get a label that says "Do not Open until 1/11/2026 so she can have it as her first "legal" mead.

Rowse honey mead made in August.

Just water, honey and nutrients.

Still signs of fermentation but less bubbles escaping through the airlock.

image.jpg

Done with my first JAOM. Managed to get 3 750 ml bottles plus a bit.

21135460033_b1e2896b2c_z.jpg

Couldn't resist taking a glass - brought out my finest crystal

21486665490_330da0a329_z.jpg

Tastes like cloves. Definitely needs some aging. Hope it's better by Thanksgiving.

This has been fun.

First cyser I've made.

Dropping lots of sediment.

Bits of apple pulp floating around in it.

Given off a sulphuric smell suggesting stressed yeast.

Have to see how this one turns out.

image.jpg

Done with my first JAOM. Great looking bottles and mead. Nice.....

This has been fun.

I tried my second batch last weekend after 11 months in the bottle. Fantastic. Absolute rocket fuel at bottling. Not sure how long it takes to age to its prime but it does take a while.

Got my ingredients for batch 3 in the closet. The plan is to have it for next Fall. YMMV. After drinking/drain pouring/giving away to willing recipients my first batch I almost swore off mead. Thought I'd give JAOM another crack.

Second attempt 3 differences.

• 1 clove not 3 (bad idea on the 3, heed the recipe)
  • Less greedy with racking, no sediment in bottles
  • Patience

Prior to bottling

DSC02258.jpgDSC02254.jpg

11 month old JAOM. Well worth the wait.
ImageUploadedByHome%20Brew1443325124.999118.jpg

View attachment 302850

1) Rhubarb
2) raspberry
3) blackberry, flavoured with whisky oak chips and Madagascan vanilla liqueur.

So I finally bottled my first ever mead/melomel today. The rhubarb one has gone cloudy and started to re ferment so it's getting treatment at the mo. Tried the other two and they are very nice (in my opinion, I don't really know what a good one is supposed to taste like, but anyone in Cornwall is welcome to give their opinion). Have made them sweet, around 1.020 and 14%abv ish. Very drinkable even now.

image.jpg

Back