Should you *ever* do a secondary ferment with a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delenda_est

Reaction score
I'm coming up on the end of the primary fermentation of a Franziskaner mini-mash clone I bought from AHB. The directions mention a secondary ferment, but I thought the goal was to leave this sucker as cloudy as possible?

Would there be any benefit to letting it clear a little more in the secondary, or should I bottle tomorrow?

I go to keg after two weeks in primary, and am sometimes drinking it a week later if it's carbed. No real need to do a secondary, and you can bottle as long as it's finished fermenting.

Their instructions are very generic. Skip the secondary, but leave it in primary until it hits FG + a couple days.

On a wheat I do 10 days primary then 5 days or so in a clearing tank then bottle. I just don't like lots of sediment.

I'm with ryan on this one. all the non-secondary suggestions are great, it's just a matter of preference. i like to let mine clear up a little bit. it's still plenty hazy after a week of secondary.

SenorWanderer said:
I'm with ryan on this one. all the non-secondary suggestions are great, it's just a matter of preference. i like to let mine clear up a little bit. it's still plenty hazy after a week of secondary.

Isn't that the point? Why clear a hefe at all?

I've done both ways...:D

I've also done 34 days in a primary (due to a heart attack) and have primed with gyle.

A secondary does not hurt your brew in any way, but is not necessary. I've done secondaries just to let it clear out only slightly. My intent was to end up with only a little sediment in the bottle.

Now I mostly do a 10 day ferment and keg. :D

Back