Should the CO2 tank valve be opened all the way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Had some issues w/ a co2 tank at the regulator connection. After a bit of frustration changing gaskets and tightening etc... I finally leak checked w star San bubbles and found the hissing leak at the valve stem. After opening the valve completely to the max open dead lock, the leak is cured.

Question for the compressed gas bottle experts, should a tank valve be fully opened when in use?

Thanks

Pic of scratch n dent 20 lb full Craigslist tank for the price of a fill hahaView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424390015.481279.jpg

Yes, the valve has been beaten pretty good.

I've read that those valves are designed to be either fully open or fully closed.

Thanks guys, kind of something I knew but Long forgotten ....

Will make a practice of keeping my tank valves fully closed or fully open, nothing more frustrating than a disappearing full tank of gas :(

No doubt!

Fwiw, a properly functioning valve should still seal partially open. I believe there is something in the dot regs about it but I can't remember. Fully backseating valves has been standard practice for many years. I still do it myself.

I always thought the practice was all the way open, then back off 1/4 turn. That keeps the valve open plus it gives you some tactile feedback when you grab the valve to check if it's open or not. I've heard of people going to open a valve and thinking it's stuck shut when it was already all the way open.

I think this is something more of us should be aware of...so I'm re-posting a few tid bits I found.

Brewer Tom wrote:
Yes, you should always open the CO2 tank valve all the way. Some of the cylinder valves will only seal full off or full open. If the valve is only partially open, some will leak around the packing. This isn't the case with all cylinders, but I just get in the habit of opening them full anyways.

All compressed gas cylinders for industrial use have "back seating valves". By opening the valve fully, you engage the back seat, sealing the valve stem instead of the relying on the valve packing around the valve stem to accomplish the seal. Much safer.

From Beverage Factory.com
CO2 TANK FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Completely open the gas cylinder valve

My new CO2 tank actually came with a note reminding me to always open fully.

Back