Should I Worry About my Spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimainer

Reaction score
I use only plastic fermenters, all with spigots. I've been reading that the spigots are breeding grounds for infections, so it's better to siphon and avoid using the spigot. If I stop using the spigot except to take hydrometer readings, will the risk of infection from the spigot be eliminated?

Spigots are hard to sanitize, which is why they're only used as bottling buckets instead of fermenters - a lot easier to sanitize it when you can take it sucker off and plop it in a bucket of starsan.

Your idea will work, but when you open the tap to bottle, the beer can get infected from teh nasties on the outside bucket/inside spigot

But if I siphon from the top to bucket, and the spigot remains permanently closed, will this still be an issue?
And even so should I still take apart the spigot and clear it between uses?

I've been using a bottleing bucket for fermenting since I went to 5 gallons. I use it for taking hydro readings. While I some times have leaks, the one infected beer I had was due to not having properly sanatized tubing for a transfer, not the spiket.

Key points - 1 I run sanatizer through the spiket before filling. 2 I sometimes (not everytime) breakdown the spiket from the bucket to be sure I've got no lingering crap and 3. I keep some sanatizer on hand in a spray bottle to spray up into the spiket if I'm concerned about it. It is worth noting that unless flys land on it (possible) bacteria falls down, not up into a spiket. Again, personal an millage may very.

Back