Should I use this HDPE container?? Dangers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all_about_stouts

Reaction score
Ok well I got a really awesome container, but after doing research, I'm now beginning to question whether I should use it.

I bought it at Whole Foods and it's purpose it to carry water. You're supposed to fill it up with water and take it home. It's a 5 gallon capacity and it fits absolutely perfectly in my mini fridge with no modifications.

I would really like to use this container. It has a spigot and it's the right dimensions. The problem is, it doesn't say that it's "food grade" plastic anywhere on it and I read that it makes a difference. It's made out of HDPE (#2 recycling code), but it still doesn't say food grade.

Why do people say not to use it if it doesn't say food grade? Should I return it try to find something else?

Most of the containers used for brewing don't say "Food Grade" anywhere on them. Generally recycle code #1 or #2 are perfectly safe as long as they aren't dyed. I would think that a container made for water storage would not leach out anything harmful.

Most of the containers used for brewing don't say "Food Grade" anywhere on them. Generally recycle code #1 or #2 are perfectly safe as long as they aren't dyed. I would think that a container made for water storage would not leach out anything harmful.

Your fine. If its sold for water its food grade unless it states non potable water on it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I am limited on space in my mini fridge and this fits perfectly and it was really cheap. The only other option I have is maybe a bucket but I don't like the lid. This one has a screw top about 3 inches in diameter and I think it seals quite well.

The only glass option I have is the big mouth bubbler http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big-mouth-bubbler-5-gallon.html but it might not fit in my fridge and I would have to modify it.

Your fine. If its sold for water its food grade unless it states non potable water on it.

I really want you to be right about this, but I'm skeptical because they also sell water jugs made out of #7. And I don't think those are food grade.

I really want you to be right about this, but I'm skeptical because they also sell water jugs made out of #7. And I don't think those are food grade.

I can't imagine they sell a water jug that isn't food grade. Surely that would be illegal, if not there's something seriously wrong with this country.

I'll post a picture later. It's made by Culligan, and it's a cube, about 10W x 10L. It translucent (clowdy white plastic) and they sell them in Whole Foods in the water aisle.

does it look like this?
media.nl%3Fid%3D59858%26c%3D1250437%26h%3D31526bcf6d05e3f0b9aa

Winco has them as well if it is them

i've fermented a few things in them when i have no more space and i'm in a rush.... i haven't left anything in there long term, but i've never had one issue with taste.
If you drill out the spigot hole up top, it fits a 6.5 bung pretty nicely :mug:

Also, if it is that one, you should be able to no-chill and ferment in the same vessel!

If you drill out the spigot hole up top, it fits a 6.5 bung pretty nicely :mug:

I have one just like it that I use on the 'hump' side of my chest cooler for lagering. I drilled the cap for a 3 pc airlock and push it all the way down and it -just- clears the sliding top. It's not a chest freezer but a display freezer - only difference is the top as best I can tell. Chest freezers may have more clearance.
I only use it when I'm doing a 2nd lager in the cooler. So far no indication of flavor issues.

Back