Should I use cascade or centennial in recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finished separating out my grains, hops and yeast for the next several brewing sessions and I found I had enough left over ingredients to try making my own wheat beer recipe from the following ingrediants:

Experimental Wheat (6 gallon)
6 lb Pale Malt 2-row
4.5 lb White Wheat
1 lb Flaked Wheat
½ lb Crystal 20L
½ lb Honey Malt
1 oz Williamette (60 min)
Either 1 oz Centennial or 1 oz Cascade (10 minutes) ???
0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel (5 min)
0.5 Coriander Seed (5 min)
Wyeast #1010

Primary 4 Weeks at 67 F.

The question I have is whther to use 1 oz Centennial or 1 oz Cascade for the final hop addition. I have the extra 1 oz Centennial on hand but not the Cascade. Thus, I could either use the Centennial now or wait until I reorder supplies for the Cascade. (There is no LHBS with 70 miles and most of my ordering comes from either NB or MW)

I know that Cascade is a great aroma hop but what about Centennial? FRom what I have read it is used primarily for bittering but could be a late addition hop. I have just never used it for this.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mick

Same here. I have only used Centenial for 60 minutes, The IBU's are pretty high for a late adition hop.

I finished separating out my grains, hops and yeast for the next several brewing sessions and I found I had enough left over ingredients to try making my own wheat beer recipe from the following ingrediants:

Experimental Wheat (6 gallon)
6 lb Pale Malt 2-row
4.5 lb White Wheat
1 lb Flaked Wheat
½ lb Crystal 20L
½ lb Honey Malt
1 oz Williamette (60 min)
Either 1 oz Centennial or 1 oz Cascade (10 minutes) ???
0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel (5 min)
0.5 Coriander Seed (5 min)
Wyeast #1010

Primary 4 Weeks at 67 F.

The question I have is whther to use 1 oz Centennial or 1 oz Cascade for the final hop addition. I have the extra 1 oz Centennial on hand but not the Cascade. Thus, I could either use the Centennial now or wait until I reorder supplies for the Cascade. (There is no LHBS with 70 miles and most of my ordering comes from either NB or MW)

I know that Cascade is a great aroma hop but what about Centennial? FRom what I have read it is used primarily for bittering but could be a late addition hop. I have just never used it for this.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mick

I would use the Centennial, it's one of my favorite late addition hops. Bell's Two-Hearted, Founder's Centennial Ale, Stone IPA, and plenty of others use it in that capacity. It gives a lot more floral and less piney flavor than Cascade.

+1, centennial is an awesome aroma/flavor hop. plus, it will add a nice hint of 'orange peel' (at least that's what i get out of centennial) that will go great with a wheat beer.

Thanks for the advice. Since this recipe was created from leftover ingredients I thougth about wanting to try something different than just the standard Williamette and Cascade combo. I'll let everyone know how it turns out here in 8 weeks.

Now of the rain will just stop so I can brew that would be great.

Back