Should I treat my new Mash Paddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrafteD

Reaction score
Hey, just starting from scratch. Couldn't get a mash paddle sent here for a decent amount of money, so I made my own. I used beach wood, which is what was available. Now I'm wondering what to treat it with, or nothing at all...? Someone recommended mineral oil, since that's what they use on cutting boards. Someone else said walnut oil. Any recommendations?

I wouldn't. I made a paddle out of maple and left it untreated; going on 3 years and it still looks great with just a hose down after brew day. Mineral oil is a non-drying oil and so although it will be saturated into the wood I'm pretty sure it could bleed back out into the mash.

I wouldn't use anything, like bj said, mineral oil is non drying.. and even though people use it on cutting boards you generally aren't boiling/heating cutting boards which would be the perfect enviroment for causing the oil to thin and leak back out.

Rinse it off well when you're done using it, and every time you stir some boiling wort you're re sterilizing it anyways.

Any kind of oil will go into solution when you put it into hot wort. Mineral oil would be food safe, but it could cause problems of with head retention in your beer. Any kind of film forming finish (urethanes, epoxies, etc.) will eventually fail, and chips of it could end up in your wort. Before that there would probably be harmful compounds leached out by the hot acidic wort.

Best bet is to leave it unfinished. I made mine of cherry, and only finished the handle portion (that doesn't contact the wort).

I've found that it's important to thoroughly spray it off as soon as possible after brewing, before the wort has a chance to dry on it. I still wash it with the other stuff, but the spray off makes cleaning much easier.

fwiw, I carved my paddle out of sugar maple and never treated it with anything aside from hot wort.
It's still in perfect condition, no splits or even checks, but I haven't used the thing in quite awhile since I started underletting when I built my current rig a few years back. Never get any dough balls with the switch so a few seconds stirring with The Big Spoon and it's ready to rock...

mash_paddle.jpg

Cheers!

Back