Should I strain out the Irish Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I usually add Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil. When I transfer to the fermenter, I often pour it through a strainer to get more of the gunk out. What ends up in the strainer looks like most of the moss. Have I gotten the benefit of precipitating the proteins at that point, or am I defeating the purpose by not keeping it in the fermenter?

You are not hurting anything. How much Irish Moss do you use because I'm thinking what you are seeing is hops.

Don't worry about it. Gravity will pull all of the trub/moss/whatever out of suspension, and you'll leave it behind when you rack to secondary. It also will not disturb the fermentation process. IMHO, straining them out is a waste of time and energy.

I usually add about a tablespoon, but that's dried, so by the time it's boiled the volume is bigger. It looks like seaweed, and I use hop pellets.

I haven't used it in a while, but I remember using 1 tsp IM per 5 gallon batch. I'd put that in some warm water and let it rehydrate, then put it in the boil with 10-15 minutes left. I think a tablespoon is overkill, but it won't hurt anything.

(I use whirlfloc now- it's much better!)

I use irish moss on occasion. I think it helps a lot. I dont think that irish moss or trub in your fermenter hurt your final outcome. In fact there are some books that say a small amount of trub improve your beer because it adds nutrients to your wort that help ferment your beer. Anyone agree or disagree?????

Latest posts

Back