should i strain out the hops before cooling my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrixsrv630

Reaction score
so the guys at the brew shop sold me a strainer that goes ontop of the fermenter bucket and he told me to dump my wort into that to collect the hops and airate the wort. im just concerned not having all that hops in the fermementer will effect the taste of the beer. i used an ounce of leafy hops not the pellets so i dont know if he wanted me to use it to get that stuff out or all of the hops. im chilling the wort right now dont know if i should dump all the hops back into it that collected in the strainer!

i put the leafy hops in a grain bag anyways so i just pulled that out at the end...all thats left in the strainer are all the pellet hops.

Nah .. Leave em out. You pulled em' out so no reason to put them back in.
Some have issues with hops in the fermenter some dont. Ferment as is!
Jay

i agree. its not a big deal if you get some hops in the fermenter, but most people try to get them out. some people just dump all the stuff in (i've done it before), but i think thats mostly to keep it simple. after boiling all the ibu's are pretty much set, so no real reason for the hops in the fermenter (except dry hopping, which is a whole different deal).

okay just wanted to make sure...would have sucked if i left it out and found out i should have left em in. beer allready looks 100x clearer with it out so im happy :)

Back