Should I secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilo0407

Reaction score
I brewed a 1 gal batch of pale ale a week and a half ago. Pulled a gravity today and it was 1.012. OG was 1.054. Tasted great. I have an amber wine jug thats a little under a gallon which would be great to secondary. It would fit in the fridge nicely for cold crashing too. Is it too late to secondary? The beer is still very cloudy. Should I cold crash to clear or would secondary be better?

Use the search, this question comes up on a regular basis and the answer is... it's up to you. It's all a matter of preference, some people leave batches in a primary for a month then bottle, some people secondary, I've secondary'd after a week, 2 weeks, a month (depends on if I need my primary or not). It's not too late to secondary and regardless of which method you choose, the beer will clear with time.

hudsonj6 said:
Use the search, this question comes up on a regular basis and the answer is... it's up to you. It's all a matter of preference, some people leave batches in a primary for a month then bottle, some people secondary, I've secondary'd after a week, 2 weeks, a month (depends on if I need my primary or not). It's not too late to secondary and regardless of which method you choose, the beer will clear with time.

While it is up to him, putting a beer into a secondary when it hasn't been shown to improve a beer anymore than leaving it in the primary for an equal amount of time just increases the risk of infection and oxidation. The best bet is just to leave it in the primary until it's time to bottle.

i only secondary when doing a fruit-based beer (like a blueberry hefe) or a huge beer (bigger than 1.080 or so). i'd cold-crash, like i always do

I brewed a 1 gal batch of pale ale a week and a half ago. Pulled a gravity today and it was 1.012. OG was 1.054. Tasted great. I have an amber wine jug thats a little under a gallon which would be great to secondary. It would fit in the fridge nicely for cold crashing too. Is it too late to secondary? The beer is still very cloudy. Should I cold crash to clear or would secondary be better?

I'd probably just bottle it now.

Even if I did opt for secondaries, for a 1 gallon I wouldn't bother, you really don't want to lose any volume to racking. If you've never tried a long primary, this would be the time.

Back