Should I remove the braunhefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddux91

Reaction score
G'day Guys,

This is my first post on these forums, looks like a very interesting place to gain some knowledge.

Just started my first brew ever, a basic ale made from a kit. Pretty basic with malt extract, dry yeast, 50% dry light malt, 30% dextrose and 20% maltodextrin.

Just a quick question, as my beer ferments it has started to form some braunhefe, as far as I know this isn't a problem at all. As my friend remarked that it was one of the cleanest krausen he has seen, guess thats just down to good hygiene on my part and the relative freshness of the ingredients.

Should I remove any braunhefe? I understand that it is just a byproduct of the yeast, and isn't any sign of contamination. Main thing I am worried about is the effect it might have on the taste of the ale.

Kind Regards,
Mark.

I think most brewing books and websites could use to add 1 more step in their Beginning Brewers Guides.

Step 43 - Pitch yeast and place in temperature controlled area.

Step 44 - Go on a 2 week vacation.

Latest posts

Back