Should I remove ring of trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axacrusis

Reaction score
Excuse me for this question I am a beginner but when I opened the lid of my fermenter today to take a gravity reading I noticed a ring of trub mostly hops above the liquid line. Should I remove this ring or just let it fall back into the beer? If it does fall into the beer should I worry about it causing of flavors? My gravity reading is close to where I want so I plan on letting it sit for another 10-14 days.

I say leave it where it is.

Some say it will cause off flavors if it falls in, but i think it's not likely to fall in unless you are messing with it.

Leave it. You never want to try and "clean" your fermentation vessel while you have beer in there. It is nothing that will cause off flavors. Forget it and clean after you remove the beer for bottling/kegging

Ok thanks I will not mess with it. This is my first brew so maybe next time I should use a hop bag or strainer to cut down on the mess.

Straining & using hop sacks will cut down on the volume of gunk at the bottom,but not the stuff on the sides. That's just the remains of the krausen foam with trub mixed in it that coats the sides as a greasy mess. Do not mess with it. Nothing good would come from removing it now,or making it sink. It's just residue from the initial fermentation stage.

Back