should I rack to secondary before dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markiemark

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed an IPA partial mash 1 week ago today. Instructions in kit say to dry hop after 1 week. Should I just open it up and throw the pellets in? Or should I rack to a carboy then add the hops? I have never racked to a secondary before, any tips, thoughts, opinions on doing so?

In either way, should I stir them in or just toss em in?

Also, while brewing I wanted to attempt to bring up the ABV, so I added 1.5 lbs of DME about 40 minutes into the boil. Boiled for 60 total. Will that be enough to boost it at all? I did add extra hops to balance the sugars.

Thanks for your help!!

Your alcohol will definitely come up. I would be patient. If you plan on racking I would rack off of the dry hops. Personally I would drop the pellets in and let them join the beer. If you want to stir you can but I wouldn't if your skeptical about the loss of C02 protecting the head. After you're finished with the conditioning and primary I would then rack after things have settled and the hops have had time to be extracted.

Unless you pitched a big yeast starter or multiple packs, give it another couple weeks to ferment, clean up and settle out in primary. Bigger beers take time. Then just dump the dry hops in for another week.

I always just dry hop in the primary. When I am 2-3 days from bottling, I put the fermentor in the fridge to "cold-crash" so everything settles before racking to the bottling bucket. No stirring required, gravity will do it's thing.

I do pretty much the same as OClairBrew. I used to rack to a bright tank/secondary for dry hopping, but found that it really has no advantages. I typically just put my hops in a sanitized hop sack and drop it right into my primary fermentor after FG is reached.

Cheers

Normally, you dryhop for about 5-7 days before packaging the beer. So, whether it's in the primary or in the clearing vessel, just add the hops about a week before you plan to bottle. I've gone as short as 3 days, but 5 days is my preference for the best hops flavor and aroma. I don't use a bag, but I'm very proficient with racking to the bottling bucket or keg when it's time to package the beer.

I usually just add the hops to the fermenter, and don't bother racking the beer just for dryhopping.

You can just toss the pellets in your primary if you want, they will expand as they soak and leave a nasty muck at the top. If they don't drop out in time for you to bottle, you can CAREFULLY rack from underneath of them, or chill your beer to 35F or so for 2+ days and the hops will drop out and sediment nicely on the bottom.

Back