Should i pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm making a wheat beer and need ur help. Broke my smack pack just over 3 hours ago and it's not swelled as much as normal. I've been keeping it warm (between my shirt and my sweater). It's 3492 Belgian, but I happen to have a dry ale yeast to hand. What should I do?

Thanks

image-1664174397.jpg

image-3490369636.jpg

This is from the destructions on Wyeast's web site:

3. Allow the package to incubate and swell for 3 hours or more (it is not necessary for this package to fully swell before use) at 70-75°F (21-24°C).

And also this:
Full swelling of Activator™ packages is not required for their use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability, and in initiating metabolism for faster starts to fermentation.

Sterile Packaged Product – UV Light Barrier – 100% Guaranteed Pure
Keep Refrigerated. Do not freeze.

Best if Used by: This package is best when used within 6 months of the manufacturer’s date when stored between 34-40°F (1-4°C). Older yeast or yeast that has been exposed to higher or lower temperatures may take longer to become active or swell.

Wait longer if you have the time, if not, i would pitch it.

Thanks. Every other WY pack I have used has swelled to the point it looks like it would burst. Don't know if there is a must pitch x minutes after u get wort to pitching temp. I'm inclined to just pitch my dry yeast pack.

With a May date you will be under pitching your beer and should have made a starter to both ensure viability as well as getting proper pitch rate for your beer.

Visit Www.yeastcalc.com, plug on the numbers and you'll see!

I ended up pitching the dry yeast I had on hand. Just racked to a keg today.

So, I put the smack pack back in the fridge. Can I still use this thing?

Back