Should I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkBar

Reaction score
I brewed the Pliny clone from Northern Brewer 10 days ago. I used the dry yeast option (US-05). The krausen has came and gone several days ago. I have seen recommendations to double up on the yeast for this kit if you are using dry yeast. I have another packet of US-05, should I pitch it or have I missed my window to do that?

Unless your fermentation actually stalls, I'd hold off. Any off-flavors you'd get from underpitching would have occurred already. At this point I don't think pitching another packet is going to do much aside from introduce another opportunity for infection. I wouldn't worry too much either way, though.

One pack of US-05 rehydrated will probably handle this this beer. Have you taken a SG reading? After 10 days it should be nearing completion.

I haven't started taking gravity readings yet, I can still see activity in the airlock, so I assume testing now would just waste beer.

I haven't started taking gravity readings yet, I can still see activity in the airlock, so I assume testing now would just waste beer.

It would not really waste beer and if you're not testing gravity yet but seeing activity then there's no reason to pitch more yeast. Let it ride for now because it certainly doesn't sound stuck. Maybe next time use yeastcalc.com to determine proper pitch rate.

when its stops bubbling, you can raise the temp a few degrees or move it to a slightly warmer place.
If you don't see any more action in a few days, check the gravity. No need for more yeast now.

Back